mafw, trackerd and apps with external media files ?

mafw, trackerd and apps with external media files ?

Attila Csipa-2-3
A question about the mawf-trackerd duo: should applications that require storage of their (not end-user oriented) media files on the external cards do anything special to avoid appearing in mafw via trackerd (like they appear now in Media Player through metalayer-crawler) or is this taken care on a framework/maemo level in fremantle ? Sorry if this has been asked previously, I couldn't find anything relevant in the mafw .pdf and my archive searches on the topic proved unfruitful, too.

Re: mafw, trackerd and apps with external media files ?

Juan A. Suarez Romero
On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 15:12 +0200, Attila Csipa wrote:
> A question about the mawf-trackerd duo: should applications that
> require storage of their (not end-user oriented) media files on the
> external cards do anything special to avoid appearing in mafw via
> trackerd (like they appear now in Media Player through
> metalayer-crawler) or is this taken care on a framework/maemo level in
> fremantle ? Sorry if this has been asked previously, I couldn't find
> anything relevant in the mafw .pdf and my archive searches on the
> topic proved unfruitful, too.

Mafw shows the clips that are provided by tracker, and tracker has
predefined a set of directories where to look for media files.

So the trick is to install those application's media files outside those
directories.

        J.A.

On Wednesday 22 April 2009 23:48:29 you wrote:
> Mafw shows the clips that are provided by tracker, and tracker has
> predefined a set of directories where to look for media files.

I see. Does this predefined set of directories perchance include the memory
card(s) mount point(s) in fremantle ? I'm asking this because there is a
growing tendency among packages (especially games) in extras to toss their
media files to mmc1 or mmc2, already wreaking havoc on Canola and
metalayer-crawler.

PS I don't suppose the trackerd monitored directories will be user-settable in
finer granularity than mount points without manually editing config files ?

Re: mafw, trackerd and apps with external media files ?

Ryan Abel
On Apr 22, 2009, at 6:27 PM, Attila Csipa wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 April 2009 23:48:29 you wrote:
>
>> Mafw shows the clips that are provided by tracker, and tracker has
>> predefined a set of directories where to look for media files.
>
> I see. Does this predefined set of directories perchance include the
> memory
> card(s) mount point(s) in fremantle ? I'm asking this because there
> is a
> growing tendency among packages (especially games) in extras to toss
> their
> media files to mmc1 or mmc2, already wreaking havoc on Canola and
> metalayer-crawler.

I don't know if you know (sounds like you don't), but /home will be
mounted on the internal card in Fremantle. So, presumably, /home/user/
MyDocs/.sounds would be one logical choice.

--
Ryan Abel
Maemo Community Council member

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 00:27 +0200, Attila Csipa wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 April 2009 23:48:29 you wrote:
> > Mafw shows the clips that are provided by tracker, and tracker has
> > predefined a set of directories where to look for media files.
>
> I see. Does this predefined set of directories perchance include the memory
> card(s) mount point(s) in fremantle ? I'm asking this because there is a
> growing tendency among packages (especially games) in extras to toss their
> media files to mmc1 or mmc2, already wreaking havoc on Canola and
> metalayer-crawler.

I think so, but not sure either.

> PS I don't suppose the trackerd monitored directories will be user-settable in
> finer granularity than mount points without manually editing config files ?

I don't know if tracker supports or will support that. But somebody could write a small program to do it ;-)

        J.A.