maemo-optify with Chinook / conditionals in debian/rules

maemo-optify with Chinook / conditionals in debian/rules

Cornelius Hald
Hi,

I'm trying to optify Conboy and noticed that maemo-optify does not exist
on Chinook. So I've added the build dependency like that:

Build-Depends: [...] maemo-optify | maemo-version-dev (<< 5.0)

So far so good, but now I have to make the call inside debian/rules
optional as well. Unfortunately I completely fail to do that. I've tried
to add

which maemo-optify && maemo-optify

and

[ -e /usr/bin/maemo/optify ] && maemo-optify

Both work if maemo-optify is available, but fail if it is not available.
The log looks like this:

[...]
dh_install --sourcedir=debian/tmp
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
dh_link
dh_strip
dh_compress
dh_fixperms
dh_installdeb
dh_shlibdeps
dh_gencontrol
which maemo-optify && maemo-optify
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1

Does someone know why this is not working? It looks like 'make' does not like this construct, but what's the alternative?

Thanks!
Conny

Re: maemo-optify with Chinook / conditionals in debian/rules

Cornelius Hald
After a lot of trying I found out the the following works:

if [ `which maemo-optify` ]; then maemo-optify; fi

Cheers!
Conny

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 20:50 +0100, Cornelius Hald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to optify Conboy and noticed that maemo-optify does not exist
> on Chinook. So I've added the build dependency like that:
>
> Build-Depends: [...] maemo-optify | maemo-version-dev (<< 5.0)
>
> So far so good, but now I have to make the call inside debian/rules
> optional as well. Unfortunately I completely fail to do that. I've tried
> to add
>
> which maemo-optify && maemo-optify
>
> and
>
> [ -e /usr/bin/maemo/optify ] && maemo-optify
>
> Both work if maemo-optify is available, but fail if it is not available.
> The log looks like this:
>
> [...]
> dh_install --sourcedir=debian/tmp
> dh_testdir
> dh_testroot
> dh_link
> dh_strip
> dh_compress
> dh_fixperms
> dh_installdeb
> dh_shlibdeps
> dh_gencontrol
> which maemo-optify && maemo-optify
> make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1
>
> Does someone know why this is not working? It looks like 'make' does not like this construct, but what's the alternative?
>
> Thanks!
> Conny

Re: maemo-optify with Chinook / conditionals in debian/rules

Jeff Moe
On Sunday 20 December 2009 18:09:35 Cornelius Hald wrote:
> After a lot of trying I found out the the following works:
>
> if [ `which maemo-optify` ]; then maemo-optify; fi

Perhaps:

if [ -x /usr/bin/maemo-optify ]; then maemo-optify; fi

Have fun,

-Jeff
http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Jebba

Re: maemo-optify with Chinook / conditionals in debian/rules

mikkov

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to optify Conboy and noticed that maemo-optify does not exist
> on Chinook. So I've added the build dependency like that:
>
> Build-Depends: [...] maemo-optify | maemo-version-dev (<< 5.0)

Currently it's possible to simply add debian/optify file and put "auto" there. Builder will optify
package for fremantle and ignore the file for other
targets. No need for deps or rules changes.

--
Mikko Vartiainen

On Sunday 20 December 2009 19:38:31 Mikko Vartiainen wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to optify Conboy and noticed that maemo-optify does not exist
> > on Chinook. So I've added the build dependency like that:
> >
> > Build-Depends: [...] maemo-optify | maemo-version-dev (<< 5.0)
>
> Currently it's possible to simply add debian/optify file and put "auto"
>  there. Builder will optify package for fremantle and ignore the file for
>  other
> targets. No need for deps or rules changes.

I have generally put maemo-optify in the rules file right after "dh_builddep"
as mentioned in the README. It may be true that the builder doesn't need it,
but it appears the SDK does (?).

Thanks,

-Jeff

Re: maemo-optify with Chinook / conditionals in debian/rules

mikkov
> I have generally put maemo-optify in the rules file right after "dh_builddep"
> as mentioned in the README. It may be true that the builder doesn't need it,
> but it appears the SDK does (?).

Builder runs maemo-optify-deb which you can run locally too if needed.

--
Mikko Vartiainen

On Sunday 20 December 2009 20:32:45 Mikko Vartiainen wrote:
> > I have generally put maemo-optify in the rules file right after
> > "dh_builddep" as mentioned in the README. It may be true that the builder
> > doesn't need it, but it appears the SDK does (?).
>
> Builder runs maemo-optify-deb which you can run locally too if needed.

I think I'll start doing it that way from now to keep in line with builder.

As slightly related note, I have a package that was maemo-optifying fine
locally for armel/i386, but the builder croaked on maemo-optify of the i386
for some reason:

maemo-optify
print() on closed filehandle $out at /usr/bin/maemo-optify line 220.
print() on closed filehandle $out at /usr/bin/maemo-optify line 183.
Bad file descriptor at /usr/bin/maemo-optify line 240.

Here's full logs, if it interests you:
https://garage.maemo.org/builder/fremantle/portaudio19_19+svn20071022-4/i386.build.log.FAILED.txt

But like I said, I will now use maemo-optify-deb and drop maemo-optify from my
debian/rules.

Thanks,

-Jeff