Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Andrew Flegg
Hi,

Today is the start of the April_10 sprint, however I would like to
CANCEL today's IRC meeting and try something different.

  1) Can everyone update the task statuses on the sprint page
     and then send a paragraph summary for each task in reply
     to this message.

  2) Can each member of the paid team, and anyone else to wants
     to commit to a task, send an list of ONE MUST, ONE SHOULD and
     ONE COULD? Each task should be accompanied by a few
     sentences/one paragraph on it, and have a URL to somewhere
     for more info.

Given this is stuff which should have been prepared for today's
meeting anyway, the deadline is WEDNESDAY, 7th APRIL 2010; 09:00 UTC.
This will allow time for a few questions and clarifications before the
sprint races off.

The IRC meeting became a checklist and a time sink and we have
(seemingly) large number of tasks being carried over and not
completed. I'm trying to increase the accountability and visibility of
the process, and reduce the burden on volunteers. Indeed, I'm awaiting
thoughts from Niels and Tero as to further changes in the ownership
and the running of the sprint process.

The last sprint's page is:

    http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_Sprints/March_10

According to that, the following tasks are incomplete:

  *  9.09-01 MUST    Niels Breet, Daniel Wilms
  *  9.09-10 MUST    Daniel Wilms
  *  9.12-01 MUST    Andre Klapper, Karsten Bräckelmann
  *  9.12-05 MUST    Andre Klapper, Karsten Bräckelmann
  *  9.12-07 MUST    Andre Klapper, Karsten Bräckelmann
  * 10.01-03 MUST    Dave Neary, Niels Breet
  * 10.02-04 MUST    Niels Breet
  * 10.02-06 MUST    Andre Klapper
  * 10.02-07 MUST    Henri Bergius
  * 10.01-08 MUST    Daniel Wilms
  * 10.01-09 MUST    Jeremiah Foster
  * 10.02-12 MUST    Niels Breet
  * 10.03-01 MUST    Valério Valério
  * 10.02-03 MUST    Dave Neary
  * 10.02-04 MUST    Niels Breet
  * 10.02-05 MUST    Niels Breet
  * 10.01-09 SHOULD  Randall Arnold
  * 10.02-13 SHOULD  Randall Arnold
  * 10.01-06 COULD   Alexey Zakhlestin
  * 10.01-07 COULD   Daniel Wilms
  * 10.01-08 COULD   Alexey Zakhlestin
  * 10.02-14 COULD   Niels Breet, Jeremiah Foster

Notes:
  * Out of 20 "must have" items, at the day of the start of a
    new sprint, only 4 are reported to have been completed.
  * The oldest items date from September last year, and are
    still rolling on.
  * Qaiku "workstreaming" may be all well and good, but it
    doesn't allow for easy reporting and review at the end of
    a sprint. I'm guessing the situation isn't as bad as it
    appears. I HOPE it isn't.

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:[hidden email]  |  http://www.bleb.org/
Maemo Community Council chair
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Henri Bergius
Hi,

On 6 April 2010 11:33, Andrew Flegg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  * 10.02-07 MUST    Henri Bergius

I did the originally requested round of karma changes, but we've kept
this item open as based on discussions with Valerio, the new Council
should make some decisions on:

* Dropping blog karma
* Raising bug karma

then based on those decisions the task can either be closed without
action or the needed changes implemented.

>  * Qaiku "workstreaming" may be all well and good, but it
>    doesn't allow for easy reporting and review at the end of
>    a sprint. I'm guessing the situation isn't as bad as it
>    appears. I HOPE it isn't.

This will hopefully help with more structured workstreaming soon:
http://www.slideshare.net/bergie/midgard2-content-repository-for-mobile-applications/14
(same Qaiku workstream but a more task-focused view to it on N900)

> Andrew Flegg -- mailto:[hidden email]  |  http://www.bleb.org/

/Bergie

--
Henri Bergius
Nemein - Web Craftsmanship
http://nemein.com
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Karsten Bräckelmann
In reply to this post by Andrew Flegg
On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 09:33 +0100, Andrew Flegg wrote:
>   *  9.12-01 MUST    Andre Klapper, Karsten Bräckelmann
>   *  9.12-05 MUST    Andre Klapper, Karsten Bräckelmann
>   *  9.12-07 MUST    Andre Klapper, Karsten Bräckelmann

These are not done entirely, yet. Sorry for lagging, I got caught up in
other stuff last month. Since splitting these tasks is not necessary any
longer, I propose to consolidate the remaining work into a single task
instead, finally to be finished the next weeks.

  MUST  Bugzilla 3.4 Migration
  Migrate bugzilla to the latest version. Porting of custom features and
  initial styling to match the maemo.org style.

And since you requested another should and could, too:

  SHOULD  maemo.org styling for Bugzilla
  Additional and fine-tuned custom styling for bugzilla, to match the
  maemo.org style.

  COULD  Bugzilla Feature Requests
  Implementing additional feature requests, as filed in bugzilla.


I'm actually on Easter holidays today, and unfortunately I will have to
extend this by another two days. Kind of stranded here, due to a car
brake-down, still getting fixed.

--
Karsten Bräckelmann  -- bugmaster and zilla wrangler

_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

VDVsx
Administrator
Hi,

I forgot to update that task, but it's completed.

10.03-01 Prepare the GSoC'10 proposal  - We were accepted as a mentoring organization


Best regards,

--
Valério Valério

http://www.valeriovalerio.org


2010/4/6 Karsten Bräckelmann <[hidden email]>
On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 09:33 +0100, Andrew Flegg wrote:
>   *  9.12-01 MUST    Andre Klapper, Karsten Bräckelmann
>   *  9.12-05 MUST    Andre Klapper, Karsten Bräckelmann
>   *  9.12-07 MUST    Andre Klapper, Karsten Bräckelmann

These are not done entirely, yet. Sorry for lagging, I got caught up in
other stuff last month. Since splitting these tasks is not necessary any
longer, I propose to consolidate the remaining work into a single task
instead, finally to be finished the next weeks.

 MUST  Bugzilla 3.4 Migration
 Migrate bugzilla to the latest version. Porting of custom features and
 initial styling to match the maemo.org style.

And since you requested another should and could, too:

 SHOULD  maemo.org styling for Bugzilla
 Additional and fine-tuned custom styling for bugzilla, to match the
 maemo.org style.

 COULD  Bugzilla Feature Requests
 Implementing additional feature requests, as filed in bugzilla.


I'm actually on Easter holidays today, and unfortunately I will have to
extend this by another two days. Kind of stranded here, due to a car
brake-down, still getting fixed.

--
Karsten Bräckelmann  -- bugmaster and zilla wrangler

_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community





_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Stskeeps
In reply to this post by Andrew Flegg
My plan is to weekly publish my hour sheets regarding my public tasks
as well as a report, on my mer-project.blogspot.com (syndicated to
planet.maemo.org). It is important to note that I will not be 100%
(120h/month) on public community tasks in terms of hours due to my
position being a bit on the fence between internal and external.

These are a bit high level tasks, because tasks underneath this is
difficult to maintain on wiki in the granularity I'd like to (and
would cause double-reporting for me):

SHOULD Establish foundation for recompiling Fremantle for ARMv6+VFP in OBS

I've been working on this for a bit and I should finish it within this
sprint and start the building process.

SHOULD Participate in technical preperation of a maemo.org OBS

This is closely linked to the above as it covers similar technologies
and methods. The goal is to build maemo.org Extras in a OBS.

SHOULD Help create hardware adaptation of MeeGo for N8x0

It is obvious that there is some interest in this, so my task in this
would be to coordinate this work. A proof of concept already was made
with a 2.6.33 kernel and MeeGo base system running.

From council, I'd also like to hear what directions you'd like the
distmaster position take in a MeeGo world and what areas you think I
should focus on in order to have a community voice in the future
development of Maemo/MeeGo OS.

Regards,
Carsten Munk

2010/4/6 Andrew Flegg <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> Today is the start of the April_10 sprint, however I would like to
> CANCEL today's IRC meeting and try something different.
>
>  1) Can everyone update the task statuses on the sprint page
>     and then send a paragraph summary for each task in reply
>     to this message.
>
>  2) Can each member of the paid team, and anyone else to wants
>     to commit to a task, send an list of ONE MUST, ONE SHOULD and
>     ONE COULD? Each task should be accompanied by a few
>     sentences/one paragraph on it, and have a URL to somewhere
>     for more info.
>
> Given this is stuff which should have been prepared for today's
> meeting anyway, the deadline is WEDNESDAY, 7th APRIL 2010; 09:00 UTC.
> This will allow time for a few questions and clarifications before the
> sprint races off.
>
> The IRC meeting became a checklist and a time sink and we have
> (seemingly) large number of tasks being carried over and not
> completed. I'm trying to increase the accountability and visibility of
> the process, and reduce the burden on volunteers. Indeed, I'm awaiting
> thoughts from Niels and Tero as to further changes in the ownership
> and the running of the sprint process.
>
> The last sprint's page is:
>
>    http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_Sprints/March_10
>
> According to that, the following tasks are incomplete:
>
>  *  9.09-01 MUST    Niels Breet, Daniel Wilms
>  *  9.09-10 MUST    Daniel Wilms
>  *  9.12-01 MUST    Andre Klapper, Karsten Bräckelmann
>  *  9.12-05 MUST    Andre Klapper, Karsten Bräckelmann
>  *  9.12-07 MUST    Andre Klapper, Karsten Bräckelmann
>  * 10.01-03 MUST    Dave Neary, Niels Breet
>  * 10.02-04 MUST    Niels Breet
>  * 10.02-06 MUST    Andre Klapper
>  * 10.02-07 MUST    Henri Bergius
>  * 10.01-08 MUST    Daniel Wilms
>  * 10.01-09 MUST    Jeremiah Foster
>  * 10.02-12 MUST    Niels Breet
>  * 10.03-01 MUST    Valério Valério
>  * 10.02-03 MUST    Dave Neary
>  * 10.02-04 MUST    Niels Breet
>  * 10.02-05 MUST    Niels Breet
>  * 10.01-09 SHOULD  Randall Arnold
>  * 10.02-13 SHOULD  Randall Arnold
>  * 10.01-06 COULD   Alexey Zakhlestin
>  * 10.01-07 COULD   Daniel Wilms
>  * 10.01-08 COULD   Alexey Zakhlestin
>  * 10.02-14 COULD   Niels Breet, Jeremiah Foster
>
> Notes:
>  * Out of 20 "must have" items, at the day of the start of a
>    new sprint, only 4 are reported to have been completed.
>  * The oldest items date from September last year, and are
>    still rolling on.
>  * Qaiku "workstreaming" may be all well and good, but it
>    doesn't allow for easy reporting and review at the end of
>    a sprint. I'm guessing the situation isn't as bad as it
>    appears. I HOPE it isn't.
>
> --
> Andrew Flegg -- mailto:[hidden email]  |  http://www.bleb.org/
> Maemo Community Council chair
> _______________________________________________
> maemo-community mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
>
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Alexey Zakhlestin
In reply to this post by Andrew Flegg

On 06.04.2010, at 12:33, Andrew Flegg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today is the start of the April_10 sprint, however I would like to
> CANCEL today's IRC meeting and try something different.
>
>  1) Can everyone update the task statuses on the sprint page
>     and then send a paragraph summary for each task in reply
>     to this message.
>
>  2) Can each member of the paid team, and anyone else to wants
>     to commit to a task, send an list of ONE MUST, ONE SHOULD and
>     ONE COULD? Each task should be accompanied by a few
>     sentences/one paragraph on it, and have a URL to somewhere
>     for more info.
>
> Given this is stuff which should have been prepared for today's
> meeting anyway, the deadline is WEDNESDAY, 7th APRIL 2010; 09:00 UTC.
> This will allow time for a few questions and clarifications before the
> sprint races off.
>
> The IRC meeting became a checklist and a time sink and we have
> (seemingly) large number of tasks being carried over and not
> completed. I'm trying to increase the accountability and visibility of
> the process, and reduce the burden on volunteers. Indeed, I'm awaiting
> thoughts from Niels and Tero as to further changes in the ownership
> and the running of the sprint process.
>
> The last sprint's page is:
>
>    http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo.org_Sprints/March_10
>
> According to that, the following tasks are incomplete:
>
>
>  * 10.01-06 COULD   Alexey Zakhlestin
>  * 10.01-08 COULD   Alexey Zakhlestin
I am taking both of these as "SHOULD" for april
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

daniel wilms
In reply to this post by Andrew Flegg
Hi,

here the details of my tasks:
>   *  9.09-01 MUST    Niels Breet, Daniel Wilms
>  
This is done. I will write an email tomorrow, with a suggestion how to
continue with the policy on this list to discuss.
>   *  9.09-10 MUST    Daniel Wilms
>  
I will first deploy CAS on a new server, before I will continue with
that one. Will do it beginning of next week.
>   * 10.01-08 MUST    Daniel Wilms
One view is still missing. Andrew has finished it this week and I will
implement it ASAP. Hopefully I can upload the new version still this
week or latest beginning of next week.
>   * 10.01-07 COULD   Daniel Wilms
>  
Not started yet.

And a big sorry for being so silent on the Qaiku channel. Partly it was
because of the winter-vacation, partly because of a lot of internal
stuff, which had to be done, and posting too often BAU messages is not
useful for anybody I guess, and sometimes I simply forgot to update,
which is clearly not good and I try to do better. Sorry for that,

Daniel
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Ferenc Szekely
In reply to this post by Andrew Flegg
Andrew Flegg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today is the start of the April_10 sprint, however I would like to
> CANCEL today's IRC meeting and try something different.
>
>   1) Can everyone update the task statuses on the sprint page
>      and then send a paragraph summary for each task in reply
>      to this message.
>
I did not have any planned activities in March, but worked on several bugs.

>   2) Can each member of the paid team, and anyone else to wants
>      to commit to a task, send an list of ONE MUST, ONE SHOULD and
>      ONE COULD? Each task should be accompanied by a few
>      sentences/one paragraph on it, and have a URL to somewhere
>      for more info.
>
MUST: Reduce the number of open website bugs
http://tinyurl.com/yccvqs9
I would like to see more progress on bugs. I will do my part, but I will
also assign, or reassign some of it to others.

SHOULD: "git over ssh" support for garage projects
http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Git_over_ssh
A long time promised feature that would ease developer's work.

COULD: Garage facelift
http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Garage_facelift
The garage style has not been touched since the site was launched. We
could perhaps work on that.

Cheers,
ferenc
--
maemo.org sysadmin, developer
email: [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Andrew Flegg
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 08:43, Ferenc Szekely <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
> MUST: Reduce the number of open website bugs
> http://tinyurl.com/yccvqs9
> I would like to see more progress on bugs. I will do my part, but I will
> also assign, or reassign some of it to others.

This is perhaps a little trivial. Fixing one bug would complete this
action. Is there a similarly quantifiable, but more substantial goal
available?

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:[hidden email]  |  http://www.bleb.org/
Maemo Community Council chair
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Andrew Flegg
In reply to this post by Stskeeps
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 06:54, Carsten Munk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> From council, I'd also like to hear what directions you'd like the
> distmaster position take in a MeeGo world and what areas you think I
> should focus on in order to have a community voice in the future
> development of Maemo/MeeGo OS.

Thanks Carsten. Could you start a new thread for this, either on tmo
or on maemo-developers?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:[hidden email]  |  http://www.bleb.org/
Maemo Community Council chair
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Andrew Flegg
In reply to this post by Henri Bergius
On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:07, Henri Bergius <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>  * 10.02-07 MUST    Henri Bergius
>
> I did the originally requested round of karma changes, but we've kept
> this item open as based on discussions with Valerio, the new Council
> should make some decisions on:
>
> * Dropping blog karma
> * Raising bug karma
>
> then based on those decisions the task can either be closed without
> action or the needed changes implemented.

Thanks Henri. Could you start a new thread for this, either here or on tmo?

>>  * Qaiku "workstreaming" may be all well and good, but it
>>    doesn't allow for easy reporting and review at the end of
>>    a sprint. I'm guessing the situation isn't as bad as it
>>    appears. I HOPE it isn't.
>
> This will hopefully help with more structured workstreaming soon:
> http://www.slideshare.net/bergie/midgard2-content-repository-for-mobile-applications/14
> (same Qaiku workstream but a more task-focused view to it on N900)

The overall sprint process for MeeGo is (as you know) being discussed
on meego-community:

    http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/meego-community/2010-April/000634.html

Certainly the sprint process around maemo.org is too broken to copy
wholesale; see the response to this email when participants have been
saved a multi-hour IRC meeting.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:[hidden email]  |  http://www.bleb.org/
Maemo Community Council chair
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Ferenc Szekely
In reply to this post by Andrew Flegg
Hello,

Andrew Flegg wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 08:43, Ferenc Szekely <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> MUST: Reduce the number of open website bugs
>> http://tinyurl.com/yccvqs9
>> I would like to see more progress on bugs. I will do my part, but I will
>> also assign, or reassign some of it to others.
>
> This is perhaps a little trivial. Fixing one bug would complete this
> action. Is there a similarly quantifiable, but more substantial goal
> available?
>
I guess you meant fixing 193 bugs. This is the amount I am talking
about. Substantial goal? Well, fix 193 bugs.

> Cheers,
>
> Andrew
>
Br,
ferenc
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Andrew Flegg
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Ferenc Szekely <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andrew Flegg wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 08:43, Ferenc Szekely <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> MUST: Reduce the number of open website bugs
>>> http://tinyurl.com/yccvqs9
>>> I would like to see more progress on bugs. I will do my part, but
>>> I will also assign, or reassign some of it to others.
>>
>> This is perhaps a little trivial. Fixing one bug would complete this
>> action. Is there a similarly quantifiable, but more substantial goal
>> available?
>>
> I guess you meant fixing 193 bugs. This is the amount I am talking
> about. Substantial goal? Well, fix 193 bugs.

193 bugs is more substantial; but I'd worry about achievability.
That's over 6 a day, assuming no weekends; days off; BAU or anything
else.

A lower number doesn't mean you can't stop, but I strongly believe
that if you commit to a task it should be measurable and achievable. A
"MUST" task is supposed to take about 60% of your available
task-oriented time, to allow for slippage to push the COULD off.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:[hidden email]  |  http://www.bleb.org/
Maemo Community Council chair
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Ferenc Szekely
Hello,

Andrew Flegg wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Ferenc Szekely <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Andrew Flegg wrote:
>>> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 08:43, Ferenc Szekely <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> MUST: Reduce the number of open website bugs
>>>> http://tinyurl.com/yccvqs9
>>>> I would like to see more progress on bugs. I will do my part, but
>>>> I will also assign, or reassign some of it to others.
>>> This is perhaps a little trivial. Fixing one bug would complete this
>>> action. Is there a similarly quantifiable, but more substantial goal
>>> available?
>>>
>> I guess you meant fixing 193 bugs. This is the amount I am talking
>> about. Substantial goal? Well, fix 193 bugs.
>
> 193 bugs is more substantial; but I'd worry about achievability.
> That's over 6 a day, assuming no weekends; days off; BAU or anything
> else.
>
> A lower number doesn't mean you can't stop, but I strongly believe
> that if you commit to a task it should be measurable and achievable. A
> "MUST" task is supposed to take about 60% of your available
> task-oriented time, to allow for slippage to push the COULD off.
>
If numbers matter, then let's say say 10 bugs will be fixed and
-hopefully- verified in the April_10 sprint. To top this I will contact
the assignees and request updates for an other 20 bugs.

My 1st thought was to put this as a SHOULD, but then I changed my mind
and said, OK, let's give it a try, see how much others care and check
where we are at the end of the month.

Fixing 193 bugs is close to non-sense, I agree, especially because some
of them are "really rough" to fix (http://tinyurl.com/yja4yv4). I
believe it is worth trying, especially because until now sprint tasks
were mainly about "other things" and "open issues" are sort of forgotten.

However if there is anybody else who is willing to __actively__ push
these website bugs (and has nothing else to do) then I would happily
pass the ball. I do prefer development (see my SHOULD task proposal) and
I am all ears if you guys have something in mind.

> Cheers,
>
> Andrew
>
Br,
ferenc
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Andre Klapper-3
In reply to this post by Andrew Flegg
Heja,

Am Dienstag, den 06.04.2010, 09:33 +0100 schrieb Andrew Flegg:
>   2) Can each member of the paid team, and anyone else to wants
>      to commit to a task, send an list of ONE MUST, ONE SHOULD and
>      ONE COULD? Each task should be accompanied by a few
>      sentences/one paragraph on it, and have a URL to somewhere
>      for more info.

At least for me this has not worked for the last months and won't work
as I'm mostly into daily BAU work which still is more than enough (of
course less than it was in December, but I still got plenty of
unanswered bug reports and bugmail from weeks ago in to-do state).

What Karsten and me have done in the last months is that Karsten
concentrates on porting Bugzilla to version 3.4 while I do all the other
stuff, and I like to keep this "split" until we have 3.4 live.

So my plan for this month is "only" to have a Bugday again (MUST), plus
the usual BAU that quite depends on numbers of incoming public bugs
which again depends on public releases (new release = way more reports),
on activity in Nokia's internal bugtracker, and other business.


>   *  9.12-01 MUST    Andre Klapper, Karsten Bräckelmann
>   *  9.12-05 MUST    Andre Klapper, Karsten Bräckelmann
>   *  9.12-07 MUST    Andre Klapper, Karsten Bräckelmann

Covered by Karsten's email response on this list already.

>   * 10.02-06 MUST    Andre Klapper

This "Bugday" task was finished (forgot updating it as I went on
holidays directly afterwards, sorry) and will turn into a task repeating
every month now anyway. Hopefully(TM).

andre
--
Andre Klapper (maemo.org bugmaster)

_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Dave Neary
In reply to this post by Andrew Flegg
Hi,

Andrew Flegg wrote:
> Today is the start of the April_10 sprint, however I would like to
> CANCEL today's IRC meeting and try something different.
>
>   1) Can everyone update the task statuses on the sprint page
>      and then send a paragraph summary for each task in reply
>      to this message.

I believe the status in the wiki is accurate for me.

I did spend some time with Daniel today & with Ferenc last week on
importing docs into the wiki, but I haven't figured it out yet. At least
I now know what's involved (download maemodoc-baseline-wiki... from
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-dev-env-downloads.php, uncompress to
get individual wikitext pages, and somehow get those into the wiki
database, probably via an XML dump/import format that we can shove into
the mediawiki importer, with the correct page names). Transforming the
files to the correct format is tricky, it seems like keeping any edit
history on any pages that have changed (luckily these are mostly new
docs) will also be tricky.

I didn't make (enough) time last month to document Niel's brain, I guess
we both have some blame there.

The election ran smoothly, and I got everything needed to reproduce a
Maemo wiki into source control, which was nice. I also spent a bit of
time this month on MeeGo documentation & community issues.


>   2) Can each member of the paid team, and anyone else to wants
>      to commit to a task, send an list of ONE MUST, ONE SHOULD and
>      ONE COULD? Each task should be accompanied by a few
>      sentences/one paragraph on it, and have a URL to somewhere
>      for more info.

Can I reverse this for this month, please?

What do you (not you Jaffa, you the council) want me to commit to in
priority this month?

> Given this is stuff which should have been prepared for today's
> meeting anyway, the deadline is WEDNESDAY, 7th APRIL 2010; 09:00 UTC.
> This will allow time for a few questions and clarifications before the
> sprint races off.

With Easter weekend & another couple of things on my plate, I'm still
working through the weekend email backlog. Apologies for the delay in
replying.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
maemo.org docsmaster
Email: [hidden email]
Jabber: [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Niels Breet-3
In reply to this post by Andrew Flegg
On Tue, April 6, 2010 10:33, Andrew Flegg wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,
>
First of all, sorry for the late reply. The PR1.2 and repo issues keep me
very busy.

> Today is the start of the April_10 sprint, however I would like to
> CANCEL today's IRC meeting and try something different.
>
>
> 1) Can everyone update the task statuses on the sprint page
> and then send a paragraph summary for each task in reply to this message.
>

9.09-01 Push packaging policy updates
Had a meeting with Daniel and Marius where we went over the open items,
very good chance of publishing it in the wiki this coming sprint.

10.02-12 Implement Maintainer part for Packages interface
This is a large task which I made some progress on in the beginning of the
Sprint, but that stopped when the PR1.2 issues became more clear.

10.02-04 Prepare repository for PR1.2 change.
This took up a lot of time because of the issues we discovered. Depending
on what we decide in the discussion on -developers, this should be
finished in the April sprint. Extras part is ready, -devel and -testing
are still open.

> 2) Can each member of the paid team, and anyone else to wants
> to commit to a task, send an list of ONE MUST, ONE SHOULD and ONE COULD?
> Each task should be accompanied by a few
> sentences/one paragraph on it, and have a URL to somewhere for more info.
>
10.02-04 Must: Essential to have in place asap.
10.02-12 Should: Developers need this, but it is quite some work so
depends on available time.

Not sure what to pick as could. There are many BAU things coming up.

> --
> Andrew Flegg -- mailto:[hidden email]  |  http://www.bleb.org/
> Maemo Community Council chair

--
Niels Breet
maemo.org webmaster


_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Dave Neary
In reply to this post by Andrew Flegg
Hi Andrew,

Andrew Flegg wrote:
>   2) Can each member of the paid team, and anyone else to wants
>      to commit to a task, send an list of ONE MUST, ONE SHOULD and
>      ONE COULD? Each task should be accompanied by a few
>      sentences/one paragraph on it, and have a URL to somewhere
>      for more info.

I'm wondering if my mail got through since I haven't gotten any answers
or questions...

Rather than me deciding what you would like me to work on, perhaps it's
better if I ask you all: what would you like me to take on as a major
task this month? I have some ideas, some Meego related, some Maemo
related, but suggestions & feedback are appreciated.

* Use-cases - we announced this a while back, but haven't actually spent
the time gathering use-cases from developers & building up a knowledge
base which could be useful
* Meego documentation boot-strap: organising a Meego wiki editor team,
pushing forward documentation licencing discussions (GFDL vs CC by-sa,
looks like that one's going to rear its ugly head), start defining the
structure of the Meego developer guide with what we have available now...
* Finally get the bugzilla categories & structure right for
documentation and start solliciting documentation bugs, perhaps start a
docs bug jar,

Those are just some ideas & suggestions, but really I'd like to know how
people want me to spend my time this month (I'll be travelling next week
for the Collaboration Summit, and working on the GNOME Census project
for part of the month also, but I will still have a block of time for
Maemo & Meego stuff).

Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,
Dave.

--
maemo.org docsmaster
Email: [hidden email]
Jabber: [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Andrew Flegg
Dave, you wrote:

>
> Andrew Flegg wrote:
> >    2) Can each member of the paid team, and anyone else to wants
> >          to commit to a task, send an list of ONE MUST, ONE SHOULD and
> >          ONE COULD? Each task should be accompanied by a few
> >          sentences/one paragraph on it, and have a URL to somewhere
> >          for more info.
>
> I'm wondering if my mail got through since I haven't gotten any answers
> or questions...

Sorry, it did. I've been trying to avoid railroading people by jumping in with my own opinons too quickly.

> * Use-cases - we announced this a while back, but haven't actually spent
> the time gathering use-cases from developers & building up a knowledge
> base which could be useful

What kind of thing do you have in mind? High-level user profiles for "typical" Maemo users, and their use-cases? i.e. to encourage developers to think about offline usage, proxy support etc?

> * Meego documentation boot-strap: organising a Meego wiki editor team,
> pushing forward documentation licencing discussions (GFDL vs CC by-sa,
> looks like that one's going to rear its ugly head), start defining the
> structure of the Meego developer guide with what we have available now...

Definitely the licence situation needs to sorted. Similarly, there's a lot of cruft around T&Cs, trademark and other meta-stuff on maemo.org which could do with being reviewed.

The only big task I can really think of is really sorting out the various Maemo docs, reference materials and so on across different versions. Too often I'll Google for something and end up in Maemo 3.x documentation. I know that's not very specific :)

HTH,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:[hidden email]  |  http://www.bleb.org/
Maemo Community Council chair
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Start of April_10 sprint: your action required

Dave Neary
Hi,

Andrew Flegg wrote:
> Sorry, it did. I've been trying to avoid railroading people by jumping in with my own opinons too quickly.

Understandable :) I assume that now that you've opened the subject,
others will jump in (and not just council people).

>> * Use-cases - we announced this a while back, but haven't actually spent
>> the time gathering use-cases from developers & building up a knowledge
>> base which could be useful
>
> What kind of thing do you have in mind? High-level user profiles for "typical" Maemo users, and their use-cases? i.e. to encourage developers to think about offline usage, proxy support etc?

Let me dig up the original call:
http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-developers/2010-February/024554.html

>> * Meego documentation boot-strap: organising a Meego wiki editor team,
>> pushing forward documentation licencing discussions (GFDL vs CC by-sa,
>> looks like that one's going to rear its ugly head), start defining the
>> structure of the Meego developer guide with what we have available now...
>
> Definitely the licence situation needs to sorted. Similarly, there's
> a lot of cruft around T&Cs, trademark and other meta-stuff on maemo.org
> which could do with being reviewed.
>
> The only big task I can really think of is really sorting out the
> various Maemo docs, reference materials and so on across different
> versions. Too often I'll Google for something and end up in Maemo 3.x
> documentation. I know that's not very specific :)

Do you have any suggestions for models we should follow? Can we, for
example, dump Maemo 3.x docs completely at this stage if they're no
longer relevant for Maemo >= 4?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
maemo.org docsmaster
Email: [hidden email]
Jabber: [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
12
Loading...