Soft and hard float

Marcin Mielniczuk
Hi,

I was trying to run some N9 PR1.x apps and get segfaults. So I need to solve several things out.
1) N9 PR is compiled with hard float and N900 has soft float, right?
2) Is there any way to run hard float software on soft float w/o recompile?

this may improve the compatiblity of meecolay

Thanks in advance
--
Marcin

Re: Soft and hard float

Kaj-Michael Lang
On Fri, 2012-09-07 at 13:28 +0200, Marcin Mielniczuk wrote:

>  2) Is there any way to run hard float software on soft float w/o
> recompile?

Using a hardfp chroot.

--
Kaj-Michael Lang <[hidden email]>

Re: Soft and hard float

Iván Gálvez Junquera
According to ARM documentation, you shouldn't combine them. What I would like to know is if Harmattan binaries are softfp or hardfp, as it seems that there is a mix of them, how is it solved in Harmattan?

Long time ago I started a thread asking about emulation of hardfp.

Regards

2012/9/7 Marcin Mielniczuk <[hidden email]>
Hi,

I was trying to run some N9 PR1.x apps and get segfaults. So I need to solve several things out.
1) N9 PR is compiled with hard float and N900 has soft float, right?
2) Is there any way to run hard float software on soft float w/o recompile?

this may improve the compatiblity of meecolay

Thanks in advance
--
Marcin

Iván Gálvez Junquera

Re: Soft and hard float

Marcin Mielniczuk
AFAIK, the PR bins are hardfp, but the store apps are mainly softfp. Why I think so: PR bins segfault:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault
0x00000000 in ?? ()
0x00000000:

So I guess it's hardfp thing.

But normal store apps run mainly ok (or at least don't segfault in 0x00000000)

I recall something like hardfp to softfp emulator in case of flash player or something. Is this compile time only, or can we use it with a built app?

Marcin

2012/9/7 Iván Gálvez Junquera <[hidden email]>
According to ARM documentation, you shouldn't combine them. What I would like to know is if Harmattan binaries are softfp or hardfp, as it seems that there is a mix of them, how is it solved in Harmattan?

Long time ago I started a thread asking about emulation of hardfp.

Regards

2012/9/7 Marcin Mielniczuk <[hidden email]>
Hi,

I was trying to run some N9 PR1.x apps and get segfaults. So I need to solve several things out.
1) N9 PR is compiled with hard float and N900 has soft float, right?
2) Is there any way to run hard float software on soft float w/o recompile?

this may improve the compatiblity of meecolay

Thanks in advance
--
Marcin

Iván Gálvez Junquera

Re: Soft and hard float

Ивайло Димитров

flashplayer uses a wapper lib to convert softfp calling convention to hardfp. you may want to do the same :)

Re: Soft and hard float

Marcin Mielniczuk
Thanks,
Is the lib Adobe-written or is it something public?
How can we check whether an app is hardfp/softfp?
Btw. it's no rule that N9 apps are hardfp. I've successfully launched Nokia Drive but only a splash is shown. I'll cover the details soon.
Marcin

2012/9/7 Ивайло Димитров <[hidden email]>

flashplayer uses a wapper lib to convert softfp calling convention to hardfp. you may want to do the same :)

Re: Soft and hard float

Mohammad Abu-Garbeyyeh
Hi,

Splash screens are shown by invoker; an app could have crashed with the splash still showing.

Mohammad Abu-Garbeyyeh

On Sep 8, 2012, at 6:48 PM, Marcin Mielniczuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks,
Is the lib Adobe-written or is it something public?
How can we check whether an app is hardfp/softfp?
Btw. it's no rule that N9 apps are hardfp. I've successfully launched Nokia Drive but only a splash is shown. I'll cover the details soon.
Marcin

2012/9/7 Ивайло Димитров <[hidden email]>

flashplayer uses a wapper lib to convert softfp calling convention to hardfp. you may want to do the same :)

Re: Soft and hard float

Marcin Mielniczuk
Hi,

This splash screen is a Qt one. It shows the Noka Drive icon and the refresh icon.
It can't be an invoker-launched splash, as this port: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85716 is faulty. I'll need to perror a bit, and if you want, you may look into this maybe you'll find why 141 error code is returned.

If you'd like to, you may try Drive out by
LD_PRELOAD="/opt/meecolay/lib/libdsme_dbus_if.so.0.2.0:/opt/meecolay/lib/libbmeipc.so.0" meecolay drive-qml

--
Marcin

2012/9/9 Mohammad Abu-Garbeyyeh <[hidden email]>
Hi,

Splash screens are shown by invoker; an app could have crashed with the splash still showing.

Mohammad Abu-Garbeyyeh

On Sep 8, 2012, at 6:48 PM, Marcin Mielniczuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks,
Is the lib Adobe-written or is it something public?
How can we check whether an app is hardfp/softfp?
Btw. it's no rule that N9 apps are hardfp. I've successfully launched Nokia Drive but only a splash is shown. I'll cover the details soon.
Marcin

2012/9/7 Ивайло Димитров <[hidden email]>

flashplayer uses a wapper lib to convert softfp calling convention to hardfp. you may want to do the same :)

Re: Soft and hard float

Javier S. Pedro
On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 17:48:01 +0200, Marcin Mielniczuk wrote:
> Thanks,
> Is the lib Adobe-written or is it something public?

You cannot really write a "generic" soft<->hardfp (without PLT trickery)
bridge unless you plan to pre-specify the set of functions your hardfp
binaries will call.

Personally, I think that it would be easier for you to, instead of
contaminating Fremantle with lots of Harmattan-ABI-compatible libraries,
to just create a Harmattan chroot.

> How can we check whether an app is hardfp/softfp?

You'll find some pretty good explanations if you google a bit about
readelf and hardfp/softfp.

Javier.

Re: Soft and hard float

Marcin Mielniczuk
Thanks!
--
Marcin

2012/9/10 Javier S. Pedro <[hidden email]>
On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 17:48:01 +0200, Marcin Mielniczuk wrote:
> Thanks,
> Is the lib Adobe-written or is it something public?

You cannot really write a "generic" soft<->hardfp (without PLT trickery)
bridge unless you plan to pre-specify the set of functions your hardfp
binaries will call.

Personally, I think that it would be easier for you to, instead of
contaminating Fremantle with lots of Harmattan-ABI-compatible libraries,
to just create a Harmattan chroot.

> How can we check whether an app is hardfp/softfp?

You'll find some pretty good explanations if you google a bit about
readelf and hardfp/softfp.

Javier.

Re: Soft and hard float

Marcin Mielniczuk

Hardfp seems to not be the problem. I checked two apps segfaulting on 0x00000000 and 2 apps running ok.
readelf -A gives the same output (attatched) for all of them

The apps were: segfaulting MeegoQQ and AccuWeather (wxapp),
working allegro and QToDo.

What may cause the segfaults? filebox for N9 causes this kind of fault too. I'm using cssu testing (not thumb flavor)
--
Sent from my Nokia N900
Marcin

re1.txt (562 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Soft and hard float

Javier S. Pedro
2012/9/10 Marcin Mielniczuk <[hidden email]>:
> Hardfp seems to not be the problem. I checked two apps segfaulting on
> 0x00000000 and 2 apps running ok.
> readelf -A gives the same output (attatched) for all of them
>
> The apps were: segfaulting MeegoQQ and AccuWeather (wxapp),
> working allegro and QToDo.
>
> What may cause the segfaults? filebox for N9 causes this kind of fault too.
> I'm using cssu testing (not thumb flavor)

Note that the dynamic loader will happily link two binaries using hard
and softfp. Therefore, problems of this nature will seemingly appear
randomly, depending on where and when an app does floating point
calls. It does not matter if you link hard with softfp if neither is
doing any function call containing floating point parameters / return
types. As soon as one such call is made, then things MAY go wrong, and
in ways you'd never expect.

As usual when you approach the "undefined behavior" area, whatever you
experience might be caused by this, or might be caused by the phase of
the moon (aka something entirely different, unrelated, and often
totally unexpected :) ).

Javier.

Re: Soft and hard float

Ивайло Димитров

You may want to capture some meaningful backtrace to help us find what is segfaulting. In order to do that you should install as many related -dbg packages as possible.

Re: Soft and hard float

Marcin Mielniczuk
How can I check whether anything which was linked is using hard float? As everything I've seen in meecolay lib is using SP and DP HardFP use (as normal maemo builds).

may the mismatch of thumb1 and thumb2 be the problem?
--
Marcin