Running multiple maemo-launchers?

Qole
Hi,

I'm trying to run Mer apps and Maemo apps side by side, but there seems to be some conflict between the two versions of maemo-launcher.

Once the Mer maemo-launcher starts running, Maemo apps (the ones dependent on maemo-launcher) quit launching, even though the Maemo version of maemo-launcher is still running.

I notice that one of the parameters of maemo-launcher is "--pidfile" which has the following listed in the help file:

  --pidfile FILE      Specify a different pid file (default /tmp/maemo-launcher.pid).

It would seem that this has the possibility for two or more maemo-launchers to share the system, by using two different "PID files," but I can't see any way to specify which maemo-launcher to use in the documentation of maemo-invoker.

As it is now, the most recently launched maemo-launcher takes all the maemo-invoker calls, leaving the older maemo-launcher (still running, in the shadows) leaning against the wall, feeling lonely. And so the non-Mer apps fail to start, because the Mer maemo-launcher stares blankly at the Maemo apps and says, "I'm sorry, do I know you?"

Any suggestions?

Perhaps this is a request I should be making to the Mer team? ("Make a mer version of maemo-invoker that is capable of choosing which maemo-launcher to use")

By the way, I notice this same behaviour when running apps in Fremantle Alpha Scratchbox...

Interesting behaviour if I try to run a Diablo maemo-launcher on top of the Mer version:

I issue the following command:

~ $ maemo-invoker browser

maemo-launcher responds with:

maemo-launcher: invoking '/usr/bin/browser'
maemo-launcher: died loading invoked application: '/usr/bin/browser: cannot dynamically load executable'
maemo-launcher: child (pid=2657) terminated due to exit()=1

--
enthusiast, n. "One whose mind is wholly possessed and heated by what engages it; one who is influenced by a peculiar fervor of mind; an ardent and imaginative person."

Re: Running multiple maemo-launchers?

Matan Ziv-Av
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Qole wrote:

> I'm trying to run Mer apps and Maemo apps side by side, but there seems to
> be some conflict between the two versions of maemo-launcher.
>
> Once the Mer maemo-launcher starts running, Maemo apps (the ones dependent
> on maemo-launcher) quit launching, even though the Maemo version of
> maemo-launcher is still running.
>
> I notice that one of the parameters of maemo-launcher is "--pidfile" which
> has the following listed in the help file:
>
>  --pidfile FILE      Specify a different pid file (default
> /tmp/maemo-launcher.pid).
>
> It would seem that this has the possibility for two or more maemo-launchers
> to share the system, by using two different "PID files," but I can't see any
> way to specify which maemo-launcher to use in the documentation of
> maemo-invoker.
>
> As it is now, the most recently launched maemo-launcher takes all the
> maemo-invoker calls, leaving the older maemo-launcher (still running, in the
> shadows) leaning against the wall, feeling lonely. And so the non-Mer apps
> fail to start, because the Mer maemo-launcher stares blankly at the Maemo
> apps and says, "I'm sorry, do I know you?"
>
> Any suggestions?

It seems that communicatio between maemo-invoker and maemo-launcher is
through /tmp/.maemo-launcher pipe.

But it seems that maemo-launcher has a few other files that it uses
(/tmp/maemo-launcher.state for example) so it is unreasonable to expect to
run two instances.

I think that the easiest way should be to replace the --pidfile option
with --basename option which will replace the "maemo-launcher" with
another string in all file names used by maemo-launcher. Of course, you'll
need to add a similar option to maemo-invoker as well.

--
Matan.