N900 consumes too much power

12

N900 consumes too much power

Pavel Řezníček

Dear comaemoers,

I have recently read an article, a review of Nokia N900. The reviewer stated that his device lasts 3 days on battery when only sometimes calling or writing SMS.
This is what I hardly can believe because my N900 lasts only 3, max. 6 hours on battery and then the battery gets discharged.
Was the reviewer kidding or is something wrong with my mobile computer?
I have recently bought a new battery and the effect is minimal.
My device was in repair service already and they changed the motherboard. It helped a bit but I never made it to that 3 days on battery.
Any ideas? :-)
--
Pavel Řezníček

vývojář a správce sítě
Farní sbor Českobratrské církve evangelické – Korandův sbor
Anglické nábřeží 13
301 50 Plzeň

Odesláno z mého telefonu Nokia N900 s linuxovým operačním systémem Maemo 5 Fremantle.

Re: N900 consumes too much power

Dmitry Chistikov
Pavel Řezníček, Aug. 05, 2012, 10:52 +0200:
> I have recently read an article, a review of Nokia N900. The reviewer
> stated that his device lasts 3 days on battery when only sometimes
> calling or writing SMS.
> This is what I hardly can believe because my N900 lasts only 3, max.
> 6 hours on battery and then the battery gets discharged.
> Was the reviewer kidding or is something wrong with my mobile computer?
> I have recently bought a new battery and the effect is minimal.

Hello Pavel,

I think something is definitely wrong with your device or software.
Battery life of my N900 is days, not hours (I do not use it really much
though).

I am not sure these links will be of help, but maybe you will be able to
find something useful there:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Make_your_battery_last_longer
http://wiki.maemo.org/Battery_consuming_and_memory_leaking_applications

--
Dmitry Chistikov

Re: N900 consumes too much power

rixed
-[ Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 10:52:29AM +0200, Pavel ??ezní??ek ]----
> Dear comaemoers,
>
> I have recently read an article, a review of Nokia N900. The reviewer stated that his device lasts 3 days on battery when only sometimes calling or writing SMS.
> This is what I hardly can believe because my N900 lasts only 3, max. 6 hours on battery and then the battery gets discharged.
> Was the reviewer kidding or is something wrong with my mobile computer?

Mine, whith it's quite old battery, can probably last 2 days with this
kind of usage (but browsing the web on wifi empty the batterie on 3/4
hours).

I'd say you have a program installed that ruins the battery life.

lfl

Re: N900 consumes too much power

lfl

On Sun,  5 Aug 2012, 06:00:02 BRT, Pavel ?ezn??ek
> I have recently read an article, a review of Nokia N900. The reviewer
> stated that his device lasts 3 days on battery when only sometimes
> calling or writing SMS. This is what I hardly can believe because my
> N900 lasts only 3, max. 6 hours on battery and then the battery gets
> discharged. Was the reviewer kidding or is something wrong

It's easy. My N900 lasts 4 days if I use it only lightly: just a few minutes of wifi connection a day plus some short calls and SMSs. When always connected to 2-3.5G it lats only around 5 hours.

If your N900 is not lasting when not always connected make sure you install the CSSU from maemo.org. It fixes alotr of bugs.

[]s,
Luis

Re: N900 consumes too much power

Michael Rösch
Am 05.08.2012 10:52, schrieb Pavel Řezníček:

> Dear comaemoers,
>
> I have recently read an article, a review of Nokia N900. The reviewer
> stated that his device lasts 3 days on battery when only sometimes
> calling or writing SMS.
> This is what I hardly can believe because my N900 lasts only 3, max. 6
> hours on battery and then the battery gets discharged.
> Was the reviewer kidding or is something wrong with my mobile computer?
> I have recently bought a new battery and the effect is minimal.
> My device was in repair service already and they changed the
> motherboard. It helped a bit but I never made it to that 3 days on battery.
> Any ideas? :-)

The biggest leap in saving enery is to use smart-reflex.
Thus for you have to install kernel-power 50.
Please read all instructions in the wiki carefully before doing so.
Installing latest CSSU is recommended too.

CU Michael
--
In the beginning, God created the earth and rested. Then God created Man
and rested. Then God created Woman. Since then, neither God nor Man has

Dne 5.8.2012 11:18, [hidden email] napsal(a):

> -[ Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 10:52:29AM +0200, Pavel ??ezní??ek ]----
>> Dear comaemoers,
>>
>> I have recently read an article, a review of Nokia N900. The reviewer stated that his device lasts 3 days on battery when only sometimes calling or writing SMS.
>> This is what I hardly can believe because my N900 lasts only 3, max. 6 hours on battery and then the battery gets discharged.
>> Was the reviewer kidding or is something wrong with my mobile computer?
> Mine, whith it's quite old battery, can probably last 2 days with this
> kind of usage (but browsing the web on wifi empty the batterie on 3/4
> hours).
>
> I'd say you have a program installed that ruins the battery life.

Thank you for your tips, Dmitry!

After the suggestions of others, I think one problem is that I'm
connected all the time to my WiFi at home. But it isn't everything. Even
when not connected (while I'm outdoors), the battery lives for hours,
never days.
I'll try to investigate the battery killer ;-)

Pavel

Re: N900 consumes too much power

Andrew Flegg
On 5 August 2012 19:07, Pavel Řezníček <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After the suggestions of others, I think one problem is that I'm connected
> all the time to my WiFi at home. But it isn't everything. Even when not
> connected (while I'm outdoors), the battery lives for hours, never days.
> I'll try to investigate the battery killer ;-)

Maintaining a TCP/IP connection drains the battery; so things like IM
accounts are the antithesis of long battery life. Some protocols are
also "thirstier" than others.

It's a shame, because one of the advantages of Maemo 5 is its design
to be always connected. Unfortunately, that isn't conducive to
multi-day battery life.

Some of the other power (limited QA, mainstream Linux userland, full
multitasking) also makes it very easy for software (including Nokia's)
to accidentally drain the battery by not being well written, not using
the heartbeat functionality and not stopping doing things when not in
the foreground.

HTH,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:[hidden email]  |  http://www.bleb.org/

Dne 5.8.2012 11:16, Dmitry Chistikov napsal(a):

> Pavel Řezníček, Aug. 05, 2012, 10:52 +0200:
>> I have recently read an article, a review of Nokia N900. The reviewer
>> stated that his device lasts 3 days on battery when only sometimes
>> calling or writing SMS.
>> This is what I hardly can believe because my N900 lasts only 3, max.
>> 6 hours on battery and then the battery gets discharged.
>> Was the reviewer kidding or is something wrong with my mobile computer?
>> I have recently bought a new battery and the effect is minimal.
> Hello Pavel,
>
> I think something is definitely wrong with your device or software.
> Battery life of my N900 is days, not hours (I do not use it really much
> though).
>
> I am not sure these links will be of help, but maybe you will be able to
> find something useful there:
>
> http://wiki.maemo.org/Make_your_battery_last_longer
> http://wiki.maemo.org/Battery_consuming_and_memory_leaking_applications

Dear Dmitry,

thank you for your tips.

1. I am connected all the time at home to my WiFi network. Do you think
it could consume so much power?
2. I'll try to find the battery killer with this list's help :-)

Pavel

Re: N900 consumes too much power

Pavel Řezníček
Dne 5.8.2012 11:18, [hidden email] napsal(a):

> -[ Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 10:52:29AM +0200, Pavel ??ezní??ek ]----
>> Dear comaemoers,
>>
>> I have recently read an article, a review of Nokia N900. The reviewer stated that his device lasts 3 days on battery when only sometimes calling or writing SMS.
>> This is what I hardly can believe because my N900 lasts only 3, max. 6 hours on battery and then the battery gets discharged.
>> Was the reviewer kidding or is something wrong with my mobile computer?
> Mine, whith it's quite old battery, can probably last 2 days with this
> kind of usage (but browsing the web on wifi empty the batterie on 3/4
> hours).
>
> I'd say you have a program installed that ruins the battery life.

Thank you for sharing your experience, Rixed!

I am connected all the time to WiFi at home. But even outdoors when not
connected, my battery discharges in a couple of hours.

Pavel

Dne 5.8.2012 18:06, Michael Rösch napsal(a):

> Am 05.08.2012 10:52, schrieb Pavel Řezníček:
>> Dear comaemoers,
>>
>> I have recently read an article, a review of Nokia N900. The reviewer
>> stated that his device lasts 3 days on battery when only sometimes
>> calling or writing SMS.
>> This is what I hardly can believe because my N900 lasts only 3, max. 6
>> hours on battery and then the battery gets discharged.
>> Was the reviewer kidding or is something wrong with my mobile computer?
>> I have recently bought a new battery and the effect is minimal.
>> My device was in repair service already and they changed the
>> motherboard. It helped a bit but I never made it to that 3 days on battery.
>> Any ideas? :-)
> The biggest leap in saving enery is to use smart-reflex.
> Thus for you have to install kernel-power 50.
> Please read all instructions in the wiki carefully before doing so.
> Installing latest CSSU is recommended too.
>
> CU Michael
Thank you, Michael!

Now I don't exactly know what smart-reflex is for now. I surely can
search for it but if you could explain it also for the others, I'd be
happy :-)
OK, I'm not sure if I have the kernel-power installed for now. I'll
definitely install it. Last time the installation ran without problems.
CSSU. This is still a mystery for me. It's a sure choice then. I notice
I am a bit noob :-D

Pavel

Dne 5.8.2012 20:17, Andrew Flegg napsal(a):

> On 5 August 2012 19:07, Pavel Řezníček <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> After the suggestions of others, I think one problem is that I'm connected
>> all the time to my WiFi at home. But it isn't everything. Even when not
>> connected (while I'm outdoors), the battery lives for hours, never days.
>> I'll try to investigate the battery killer ;-)
> Maintaining a TCP/IP connection drains the battery; so things like IM
> accounts are the antithesis of long battery life. Some protocols are
> also "thirstier" than others.
>
> It's a shame, because one of the advantages of Maemo 5 is its design
> to be always connected. Unfortunately, that isn't conducive to
> multi-day battery life.
>
> Some of the other power (limited QA, mainstream Linux userland, full
> multitasking) also makes it very easy for software (including Nokia's)
> to accidentally drain the battery by not being well written, not using
> the heartbeat functionality and not stopping doing things when not in
> the foreground.
>
> HTH,
>
> Andrew

Yes, you are right, Andrew. I should then use a connection stopper
application. Thank you for the tips.
Still, I suspect that something else drains the battery power because I
never did it to a day up and running, even when offline.

Pavel

Dne 5.8.2012 17:02, Luis Listas napsal(a):

On Sun,  5 Aug 2012, 06:00:02 BRT, Pavel ?ezn??ek
> I have recently read an article, a review of Nokia N900. The reviewer
> stated that his device lasts 3 days on battery when only sometimes
> calling or writing SMS. This is what I hardly can believe because my
> N900 lasts only 3, max. 6 hours on battery and then the battery gets
> discharged. Was the reviewer kidding or is something wrong

It's easy. My N900 lasts 4 days if I use it only lightly: just a few minutes of wifi connection a day plus some short calls and SMSs. When always connected to 2-3.5G it lats only around 5 hours.

If your N900 is not lasting when not always connected make sure you install the CSSU from maemo.org. It fixes alotr of bugs.

[]s,
Luis

Thank you, Luis!

Though I suspect this is not my case because I lose battery power quickly even when not connected, I'll definitely try to install CSSU and the Power Kernel.

Pavel

Re: N900 consumes too much power

Pavel Řezníček
Dne 5.8.2012 20:21, Jakub Górzyński napsal(a):

Try to limit wifi power in advanced connection settings. 10 mW is often enough in homes.

Best regards
Kuba

5 sie 2012 20:17, "Pavel Řezníček" <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
Dne <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:5.8.2012%2011" value="+4858201211" target="_blank">5.8.2012 11:16, Dmitry Chistikov napsal(a):
[...]

A very good tip also. Thank you, Kuba ;-)  . I'll give it a try.

Pavel

Re: N900 consumes too much power

Jan Knutar-2
On Sunday 05 August 2012, Pavel Řezníček wrote:

> I am connected all the time to WiFi at home. But even outdoors when
>  not connected, my battery discharges in a couple of hours.

Are you connected to 3g instead when outdoors? Do you have "switch to
WLAN when available" enabled?

On Sunday 05 August 2012, Michael Rösch wrote:

> The biggest leap in saving enery is to use smart-reflex.

Considering how abnormal his battery use is, I don't think smartreflex is
the answer. Considering smartreflex only makes a difference when the CPU
is on, and on a properly configured device, the CPU spends most of the
time off.

Dne 5.8.2012 21:45, Jan Knutar napsal(a):
On Sunday 05 August 2012, Pavel Řezníček wrote:

I am connected all the time to WiFi at home. But even outdoors when
 not connected, my battery discharges in a couple of hours.
Are you connected to 3g instead when outdoors? Do you have "switch to
WLAN when available" enabled?

Hello Jan, thank you for your response and question.
No, I'm usually not connected to 3G when outdoors. I use 3G on merely rare occasions because it costs money in contrast to WiFi :-)
Actually, I don't have “switch to wlan when available” enabled but cca 98% of all the time I am speaking of I had it enabled.
As I connect rarely to GPRS, 2.5G & 3G cellular data networks and I am perfectly aware of disconnecting it and switching to WiFi, this is not my issue.
Anyways, thanks for the tip :-)

Pavel

Re: N900 consumes too much power

Pavel Řezníček
Dne 5.8.2012 21:45, Jan Knutar napsal(a):

> On Sunday 05 August 2012, Michael Rösch wrote:
>
>> The biggest leap in saving enery is to use smart-reflex.
> Considering how abnormal his battery use is, I don't think smartreflex is
> the answer. Considering smartreflex only makes a difference when the CPU
> is on, and on a properly configured device, the CPU spends most of the
> time off.
Humm, thanks for this tip, Jan.

My Maemo and N900 knowledge is maybe abnormal (abnormally poor). I
neearly sure not to have a properly configured device. Now it comes the
special moment when I begin to study how to get my N900 properly
configured :-)
For the whole conference: Please be patient with me. I'll report my
steps and results. I hope others will learn something useful from my
case and your suggestions.

Pavel

-[ Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 08:20:17PM +0200, Pavel ??ezní??ek ]----
> I am connected all the time to WiFi at home. But even outdoors when not
> connected, my battery discharges in a couple of hours.

You should try setting the N900 in flight mode (or offline mode,
whatever it's called) so you can make certain your's not using
wifi nor 3g nor anything. Then see how long your phone lasts.

Also, while doing so, open a terminal and run "top" for a minute or two
to check CPU usage by programs. Top itself and Xorg should be on top,
with only a few % of CPU.

Dne 6.8.2012 06:08, [hidden email] napsal(a):

> -[ Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 08:20:17PM +0200, Pavel ??ezní??ek ]----
>> I am connected all the time to WiFi at home. But even outdoors when not
>> connected, my battery discharges in a couple of hours.
> You should try setting the N900 in flight mode (or offline mode,
> whatever it's called) so you can make certain your's not using
> wifi nor 3g nor anything. Then see how long your phone lasts.
>
> Also, while doing so, open a terminal and run "top" for a minute or two
> to check CPU usage by programs. Top itself and Xorg should be on top,
> with only a few % of CPU.

Thank you, Rixed.
I'll try the second suggestion.
The first really kicked me! I've never used the offline mode because I
want people to reach me on my phone number.
So I wasn't really right I don't use GPRS/2.5G/3G. I am connected to my
cell operator all the time even when not connected to their data
services! I just only use the call and SMS services.
To be clear: Is it normal to be connected to this basic services all the
time with an N900 device?
Or did you, Rixed, recommend me to go offline only for testing purposes?
To test if the battery lives longer?

A progress anouncement for everybody: I've installed the CSSU! I plan to
watch the battery life in the next days.

Pavel

Re: N900 consumes too much power

Paul Hartman-3
On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 3:52 AM, Pavel Řezníček <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear comaemoers,
>
> I have recently read an article, a review of Nokia N900. The reviewer stated
> that his device lasts 3 days on battery when only sometimes calling or
> writing SMS.
> This is what I hardly can believe because my N900 lasts only 3, max. 6 hours
> on battery and then the battery gets discharged.
> Was the reviewer kidding or is something wrong with my mobile computer?
> I have recently bought a new battery and the effect is minimal.
> My device was in repair service already and they changed the motherboard. It
> helped a bit but I never made it to that 3 days on battery.
> Any ideas? :-)

Using Scud battery + CSSU + kernel-power with smartreflex enabled,
usually but not always connected to either 3.5G cellular internet or
wifi, with email refresh every 15 minutes, no IM or voip accounts, no
wifi autoconnect, brightness set to 2nd lowest setting, usually it
will last me about a day and a half.

If I'm listening to streaming music then battery dies much faster, a
time measured in hours not in days.

Some installed programs/widgets may be consuming CPU, daemons running
in the background. HAM auto-update check can be a killer if you have a
lot of repos enabled. If you are familiar with standard linux tools
you can look in top and similar and find out what's running.

BatteryGraph package is great, it will show when your battery usage is
occurring, whether you are connected to gprs or wifi at the time.
Maybe you can figure out if battery loss is constant or if there's a
particular activity you did that is causing rapid drain.

I also find that battery drain is affected by environmental
conditions. If the N900 is in my pocket all day, or I'm in a place
with poor signal, battery drains faster than if it is sitting on my
desk with full bars.

N900 in offline mode will last a week, but is not as fun. :)
12