Google Summer of Code Proposal

Sukhbir Singh-2
Hello everyone.

I am interested in developing for Maemo under Google's Summer of Code program and the project 'Answering Machine/Call Rejector' on the Ideas page interests me particularly.

I have been using a Nokia phone ever since I can remember and I used to love the 'Screened Number' features the classic Nokia phones allowed. However, as I kept upgrading my phone, I noticed that such a feature was never there (Nokia E63 now), even on the high-end phones. The need for a blacklisting software led me to some commercial S60 software (I won't mention the names though).

I find it odd saying, but I have expertise in this field! I have been using such software for two - three years now on a variety of S60 phones, and I know what features should be there. Specifically, I feel the need for :

1. Blacklist - Calls you don't want to attend at all.

2. Whitelist - This feature is not usually found in many commercial software also, but it is required. There are many-a-times you want to receive calls only from a few numbers and automatically reject the other ones.
If you blacklist some numbers, that works only for the contacts that are you in your phone book. Otherwise for unknown numbers, the phone does alert you. When you want to attend calls only from a few numbers, then Blacklisted numbers don't do justice.

3. Support for text messages screening - Again, whitelist and blacklist. I think the blacklist/ whitelist for voice calls should be different from text messages. This again I base on personal experience.

4. Time based call rejecting - Set it up and forget!

If any developer is interested in mentoring this, please let me know. I think this is a must have feature. Coupled with the answering machine function, it can work out wonderfully.

--
Sukhbir

Re: Google Summer of Code Proposal

VDVsx
Administrator
Hi Sukhbir,

thanks for your interest in the Maemo Community.

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Sukhbir Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

As any other organization applying for GSoC, the Maemo Community was not chosen yet to take part of this year GSoC, the results will be revealed next week, then if we get accepted we'll start assigning the mentors to the projects.

Best regards,

--
Valério Valério

http://www.valeriovalerio.org

--
Sukhbir

Re: Google Summer of Code Proposal

Sivan Greenberg-2
Dear Sukhbir,

 I'd be interested to work with you on this idea. I've had it for a while now and I could serve as a mentor if this realizes.

Sivan