GSoC project - aGLESory

Carolina Simões Gomes
Hello everybody,

My name is Carolina, I'm new to this list and a new-grad Computer Engineer from Brazil. I've recently been accepted in the MSc in Computer Science program at University of Alberta, in Canada. I work remotely for a Finnish open-source company named Nomovok since November 2009, being a regular Qt contributor and part of the qt-performance team since then. I'm interested in the aGLESory project, which I believe would be a good fit for me, given my background in games development (I've developed Nintendo DS games during an internship) and graphics programming.

Is the project confirmed to be on GSoC?

Thank you and best regards,

Re: GSoC project - aGLESory

VDVsx
Administrator
Hi Carolina,

first thanks for your interest in the Maemo Community.

2010/3/15 Carolina Simões Gomes <[hidden email]>
Hello everybody,

My name is Carolina, I'm new to this list and a new-grad Computer Engineer from Brazil. I've recently been accepted in the MSc in Computer Science program at University of Alberta, in Canada. I work remotely for a Finnish open-source company named Nomovok since November 2009, being a regular Qt contributor and part of the qt-performance team since then. I'm interested in the aGLESory project, which I believe would be a good fit for me, given my background in games development (I've developed Nintendo DS games during an internship) and graphics programming.

Is the project confirmed to be on GSoC?

As any other organization applying for GSoC, the Maemo Community was not chosen yet to take part of the program, the results will be revealed next Thursday, keep an eye in this mailing list.

Best regards,

--
Valério Valério

http://www.valeriovalerio.org

Thank you and best regards,

Re: GSoC project - aGLESory

Carolina Simões Gomes
Hello,

First of all, congratulations to the Maemo Community for being on the GSoC again this year :-D
If possible, I'd like to know more about the aGLESory project, in order to begin forming my ideas about the project proposal.

Thank you!

2010/3/15 Valerio Valerio <[hidden email]>
[...]

Thomas Perl-2
Hello!

2010/3/19 Carolina Simões Gomes <[hidden email]>:
> If possible, I'd like to know more about the aGLESory project, in order to
> begin forming my ideas about the project proposal.

(I'm not the one who proposed the project, so I might be wrong about
the motivations and ideas behind "aGLESory".)

I *think* the idea behind aGLESory is to make it easier to start
creating projects utilizing OpenGL ES for Maemo/MeeGo. Right now, if
one was to use Xlib to create a "Hello World"-ish GL ES app, it would
look like this:

http://wiki.maemo.org/SimpleGL_example

There's too much boilerplate code (setting up the X window, etc..)
which makes it hard (or a copy'n'paste job) to start a new project
utilitzing OpenGL ES. I guess most of this is covered by using Qt and
its QGLWidget, which can be subclassed to implement the
rendering/setup: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/qglwidget.html - This
also provides texture loading using QImage. Still, maybe a more
"lightweight" solution with Xlib and DevIL, packed into a nice, little
C++ framework is what aGLESory is about (maybe with some additional
helper classes to make it easier to get started).

It would be nice if Flandry (the "reporter" on the GSoC ideas page)
could elaborate a bit on what the idea is exactly. I've added myself
as a possible mentor for this project, as it does interest me
personally :)

HTH.
Thomas

RE: GSoC project - aGLESory

kate.alhola

There is also Qt3d that is much one you are looking for. It is
utility class to making easier to create OpenGl apps with using
OpenGL API when graphicswiew and graphics iten is more
heavy and hign level. It is least worth of checking up

http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2009/11/10/qt3d-features-in-qt-46/

>It would be nice if Flandry (the "reporter" on the GSoC ideas page)
>could elaborate a bit on what the idea is exactly. I've added myself
>as a possible mentor for this project, as it does interest me
>personally :)

Kate

>HTH.
>Thomas

Re: GSoC project - aGLESory

VDVsx
Administrator

2010/3/19 Thomas Perl <[hidden email]>
Hello!

2010/3/19 Carolina Simões Gomes <[hidden email]>:
> If possible, I'd like to know more about the aGLESory project, in order to
> begin forming my ideas about the project proposal.

(I'm not the one who proposed the project, so I might be wrong about
the motivations and ideas behind "aGLESory".)

I *think* the idea behind aGLESory is to make it easier to start
creating projects utilizing OpenGL ES for Maemo/MeeGo. Right now, if
one was to use Xlib to create a "Hello World"-ish GL ES app, it would
look like this:

http://wiki.maemo.org/SimpleGL_example

There's too much boilerplate code (setting up the X window, etc..)
which makes it hard (or a copy'n'paste job) to start a new project
utilitzing OpenGL ES. I guess most of this is covered by using Qt and
its QGLWidget, which can be subclassed to implement the
rendering/setup: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/qglwidget.html - This
also provides texture loading using QImage. Still, maybe a more
"lightweight" solution with Xlib and DevIL, packed into a nice, little
C++ framework is what aGLESory is about (maybe with some additional
helper classes to make it easier to get started).

It would be nice if Flandry (the "reporter" on the GSoC ideas page)
could elaborate a bit on what the idea is exactly. I've added myself
as a possible mentor for this project, as it does interest me
personally :)

These idea came from TMO, but I've already contacted the author.
My understanding of the idea is a bit different, I think is basically a wrapper from OpenGL to OpenGL ES, in order to easily port OpenGL games/apps to Maemo.

Best regards,

--
Valério Valério

http://www.valeriovalerio.org

HTH.
Thomas

Re: GSoC project - aGLESory

Carolina Simões Gomes
I'm a bit confused here...is Qt3D the same or an extension to the QtOpenGL module?

Also, if the aGLESory project is supposed to be a wrapper of OpenGL to OpenGLES, would this include Qt code or just straightforward GL code? I ask this because according to the blog post Kate pointed to, Qt3D already intends to abstract away GL and GLES differences.
Thank you,
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 8:14 AM, Valerio Valerio <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

2010/3/19 Thomas Perl <[hidden email]>

Hello!

2010/3/19 Carolina Simões Gomes <[hidden email]>:
> If possible, I'd like to know more about the aGLESory project, in order to
> begin forming my ideas about the project proposal.

(I'm not the one who proposed the project, so I might be wrong about
the motivations and ideas behind "aGLESory".)

I *think* the idea behind aGLESory is to make it easier to start
creating projects utilizing OpenGL ES for Maemo/MeeGo. Right now, if
one was to use Xlib to create a "Hello World"-ish GL ES app, it would
look like this:

http://wiki.maemo.org/SimpleGL_example

There's too much boilerplate code (setting up the X window, etc..)
which makes it hard (or a copy'n'paste job) to start a new project
utilitzing OpenGL ES. I guess most of this is covered by using Qt and
its QGLWidget, which can be subclassed to implement the
rendering/setup: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/qglwidget.html - This
also provides texture loading using QImage. Still, maybe a more
"lightweight" solution with Xlib and DevIL, packed into a nice, little
C++ framework is what aGLESory is about (maybe with some additional
helper classes to make it easier to get started).

It would be nice if Flandry (the "reporter" on the GSoC ideas page)
could elaborate a bit on what the idea is exactly. I've added myself
as a possible mentor for this project, as it does interest me
personally :)

These idea came from TMO, but I've already contacted the author.
My understanding of the idea is a bit different, I think is basically a wrapper from OpenGL to OpenGL ES, in order to easily port OpenGL games/apps to Maemo.

Best regards,

--
Valério Valério

http://www.valeriovalerio.org

HTH.
Thomas

Re: GSoC project - aGLESory

Javier S. Pedro
2010/3/19 Thomas Perl <[hidden email]>

> I *think* the idea behind aGLESory is to make it easier to start
> creating projects utilizing OpenGL ES for Maemo/MeeGo. Right now, if
> one was to use Xlib to create a "Hello World"-ish GL ES app, it would
> look like this:
>
> http://wiki.maemo.org/SimpleGL_example
>
> There's too much boilerplate code (setting up the X window, etc..)
> which makes it hard (or a copy'n'paste job) to start a new project
> utilitzing OpenGL ES.

Shameless promotion: SDL-gles, which removes quite a lot of the boilerplate
and doesn't require patches to the upstream SDL nor the maemo one. It's
already in -devel and in use by at least one game.

2010/3/19 Valerio Valerio wrote:
> These idea came from TMO, but I've already contacted the author. My
> understanding of the idea is a bit different, I think is basically a
> wrapper from OpenGL to OpenGL ES, in order to easily port OpenGL
> games/apps to Maemo.

I agree, the wording makes it sound that way.

--
Javier

Re: GSoC project - aGLESory

VDVsx
Administrator
Hi,

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Javier S. Pedro <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/3/19 Thomas Perl <[hidden email]>
> I *think* the idea behind aGLESory is to make it easier to start
> creating projects utilizing OpenGL ES for Maemo/MeeGo. Right now, if
> one was to use Xlib to create a "Hello World"-ish GL ES app, it would
> look like this:
>
> http://wiki.maemo.org/SimpleGL_example
>
> There's too much boilerplate code (setting up the X window, etc..)
> which makes it hard (or a copy'n'paste job) to start a new project
> utilitzing OpenGL ES.

Shameless promotion: SDL-gles, which removes quite a lot of the boilerplate
and doesn't require patches to the upstream SDL nor the maemo one. It's
already in -devel and in use by at least one game.

2010/3/19 Valerio Valerio wrote:
> These idea came from TMO, but I've already contacted the author. My
> understanding of the idea is a bit different, I think is basically a
> wrapper from OpenGL to OpenGL ES, in order to easily port OpenGL
> games/apps to Maemo.

I agree, the wording makes it sound that way.

Flandry confirmed, I was right about his idea, but we are open to other proposals that can improve the portability of OpenGL apps to Maemo(OpenGL ES).

Best regards,