Fremantle dialogs at maximum size

Till Harbaum / Lists
Hi,

how does one make a dialog fill the entire screen? I am used to set the
dialog size to 800x480 and such a dialog will fill the entire screen when
fullscreen and will be shrinked appropriately when in non-fullscreen mode.

Unfortunately that doesn't work with the fremantle alpha release. The dialogs
title bar gets hidden behind the top main bar (the thing with the application
name and the close-x). Is this a bug i don't need to care about? Or do i now
have to explicitely scale dialogs for fullscreen and non-fullscreen?

Till

--
Till Harbaum <[hidden email]>

Re: Fremantle dialogs at maximum size

Simon Budig
Till Harbaum / Lists ([hidden email]) wrote:
> how does one make a dialog fill the entire screen? I am used to set the
> dialog size to 800x480 and such a dialog will fill the entire screen when
> fullscreen and will be shrinked appropriately when in non-fullscreen mode.

I'd advise against fiddeling with pixel numbers. While I don't yet have
any experience with the new SDK and have not checked if it actually does
what one expects, I'd suggest to just use gtk_window_fullscreen() on the
dialog.

Maybe this helps,
        Simon

--
              [hidden email]              http://simon.budig.de/
       [hidden email]      http://www.kernelconcepts.de/

Re: Fremantle dialogs at maximum size

Kimmo Hämäläinen
On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 22:22 +0200, ext Simon Budig wrote:
> Till Harbaum / Lists ([hidden email]) wrote:
> > how does one make a dialog fill the entire screen? I am used to set the
> > dialog size to 800x480 and such a dialog will fill the entire screen when
> > fullscreen and will be shrinked appropriately when in non-fullscreen mode.
>
> I'd advise against fiddeling with pixel numbers. While I don't yet have
> any experience with the new SDK and have not checked if it actually does
> what one expects, I'd suggest to just use gtk_window_fullscreen() on the
> dialog.

Yeah, if you are not fullscreen, you will be limited in height (I'm not
sure if this is in alpha version, though) so that the user can still
close the dialog by tapping outside.

-kimmo

Am Donnerstag 16 April 2009 schrieb Kimmo Hämäläinen:
> Yeah, if you are not fullscreen, you will be limited in height (I'm not
> sure if this is in alpha version, though) so that the user can still
> close the dialog by tapping outside.
The problem is that in non-fullscreen mode i am not limited and
the dialog is bigger than the usable screen space. Do i really have
to hardcode those limits into my program? Why doesn't maemo just
limit the size to a reasonable value instead of creating overlapping
things?

Also you want me to call gtk_window_fullscreen() on dialogs even if
the main window is already fullscreen when creating that dialog?

In order to do so i'd have to exactly know how big a dialog can be at
most. That imho doesn't make much sense. Once should be able to
request any size and having hildon take care that nothing is bigger
than useful.

Till

Re: Fremantle dialogs at maximum size

Simon Budig
Till Harbaum / Lists ([hidden email]) wrote:
> how does one make a dialog fill the entire screen?
[...]

> The problem is that in non-fullscreen mode i am not limited and
> the dialog is bigger than the usable screen space.

Oh, so you actually did not want your dialog to fill the screen, you
want the dialog to be not-bigger-than-the-screen. That was not clear
from your original question.

> In order to do so i'd have to exactly know how big a dialog can be at
> most. That imho doesn't make much sense. Once should be able to
> request any size and having hildon take care that nothing is bigger
> than useful.

Right, but what are the options of hildon then? If the dialog contains
too much stuff it can a) extend beyond the screen, b) cut off some
widgets, c) cramp widgets together, possibly having them overlap each
other. None of these options really is a good one.

I believe, that a 800x480 screen usually still needs customization and
hard thinking about usability. If you pack more widgets into a dialog
than fit comfortably you're probably on a good way on creating a
usability problem, although it is hard to judge without knowledge about
the specific application.

Also I don't get your original description of the earlier behaviour:

> I am used to set the dialog size to 800x480 and such a dialog will
> fill the entire screen when fullscreen and will be shrinked
> appropriately when in non-fullscreen mode.

So you're saying that earlier versions did not respect your size request
of 800x480 in non-fullscreen mode (what do you mean exactly by this
btw.)? That sounds like broken behaviour: Why doesn't the dialog respect
your request for 800x480?

I am not sure if I really got the problem.

Bye,
         Simon

--
              [hidden email]              http://simon.budig.de/
       [hidden email]      http://www.kernelconcepts.de/

Re: Fremantle dialogs at maximum size

Claudio Saavedra-3
El jue, 16-04-2009 a las 18:11 +0200, Till Harbaum / Lists escribió:

> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag 16 April 2009 schrieb Kimmo Hämäläinen:
> > Yeah, if you are not fullscreen, you will be limited in height (I'm not
> > sure if this is in alpha version, though) so that the user can still
> > close the dialog by tapping outside.
> The problem is that in non-fullscreen mode i am not limited and
> the dialog is bigger than the usable screen space. Do i really have
> to hardcode those limits into my program? Why doesn't maemo just
> limit the size to a reasonable value instead of creating overlapping
> things?
>
> Also you want me to call gtk_window_fullscreen() on dialogs even if
> the main window is already fullscreen when creating that dialog?
>
> In order to do so i'd have to exactly know how big a dialog can be at
> most. That imho doesn't make much sense. Once should be able to
> request any size and having hildon take care that nothing is bigger
> than useful.

As Kimmo already said, this is already fixed and dialogs won't occupy
more than the screen height minus a certain delta. It's probably not in
the latest SDK release, but it will be in the next one.

Claudio

Am Donnerstag 16 April 2009 schrieb Simon Budig:
> Right, but what are the options of hildon then? If the dialog contains
> too much stuff it can a) extend beyond the screen, b) cut off some
> widgets, c) cramp widgets together, possibly having them overlap each
> other. None of these options really is a good one.
You forgot
d) scale the widgets with variable sizes (like lists) so everything fits nicely

> than fit comfortably you're probably on a good way on creating a
> usability problem, although it is hard to judge without knowledge about
> the specific application.
I am not putting more into the dialogs. I just want it to e.g. display as many
entries in a treeview widget as possible. I want it thus to be as big as possible.

> So you're saying that earlier versions did not respect your size request
> of 800x480 in non-fullscreen mode (what do you mean exactly by this
> btw.)? That sounds like broken behaviour: Why doesn't the dialog respect
> your request for 800x480?
Because in non-fullscreen there are other things on the screen like the
icons to the left and to of the screen that a non-fullscreen app never
covers. If i say "make my dialog 800x480" and i am _not_ in fullscreen
mode then the dialog should not become a fullscreen dialog.

> I am not sure if I really got the problem.
I just want a dialog being as big as possible. I want to to cover the entire
800x480 in fullscreen and i want it to cover all available screenspace
if not in fullscreen mode. Diablo did this fine, fremantle makes the dialog
title disappear behind other things on the screen when not being in
fullscreen mode.

Till