Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

Benoît HERVIER
Hi,

As a dumb, i ve forgot to delete project PyGTKEditor before deleting
garage account.

Someone can do it ?

Thanks.
--
Benoît HERVIER, Khertan Softwares - http://khertan.net/
_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

David Hautbois
Very sad to read this....
Good luck

Le mardi 23 mars 2010 à 18:17 +0100, Benoît HERVIER a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> As a dumb, i ve forgot to delete project PyGTKEditor before deleting
> garage account.
>
> Someone can do it ?
>
> Thanks.


_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

Cláudio "Patola" Sampaio
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:54 PM, David Hautbois <[hidden email]> wrote:
Very sad to read this....
Good luck

Le mardi 23 mars 2010 à 18:17 +0100, Benoît HERVIER a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> As a dumb, i ve forgot to delete project PyGTKEditor before deleting

I love PyGTKEditor. What's the new location for it?

Thanks,
--
Cláudio "Patola" Sampaio
IRC: ptl  - Yahoo: patolaaa
Campinas, SP - Brazil.

_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

Benoît HERVIER
Hi,

Once the package will be removed from extras, extras-testing, and
extras-devel you will be able to install the new version from my own
repository. The .install file will be available on Maemo.org. It ll
setup correctly my repository, and install the last version from it.

Location of the install file :
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/raw/Maemo5/pygtkeditor?get_installfile

Content of the install file :
[install]
catalogues = khertan-repository
package   = pygtkeditor

[khertan-repository]
name = Khertan-Repository
uri = http://khertan.net/repository/
components = user

Best regards,

2010/3/23 Cláudio Sampaio <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:54 PM, David Hautbois <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Very sad to read this....
>> Good luck
>>
>> Le mardi 23 mars 2010 à 18:17 +0100, Benoît HERVIER a écrit :
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > As a dumb, i ve forgot to delete project PyGTKEditor before deleting
>
> I love PyGTKEditor. What's the new location for it?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Cláudio "Patola" Sampaio
> IRC: ptl  - Yahoo: patolaaa
> Campinas, SP - Brazil.
>
> _______________________________________________
> maemo-developers mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
>
>



--
Benoît HERVIER, Khertan Softwares - http://khertan.net/
_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

Michael Cronenworth
Benoît HERVIER wrote:
> Once the package will be removed from extras, extras-testing, and
> extras-devel you will be able to install the new version from my own
> repository.

Why are you attempting to divide the Maemo community?
_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

Frank Banul
One person setting up their own repository is hardly dividing the
Maemo community, IMHO.

Frank

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Michael Cronenworth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Benoît HERVIER wrote:
>>
>> Once the package will be removed from extras, extras-testing, and
>> extras-devel you will be able to install the new version from my own
>> repository.
>
> Why are you attempting to divide the Maemo community?
> _______________________________________________
> maemo-developers mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
>
_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

Benoît HERVIER
Why are you saying that i m trying to divide the Maemo Community ?

So Maemo is as closed as Apple iThings  Store ?
We can t provide apps without the approbation of the community ?

Uploading things to extras is a pain ... rules changes ... stupid
votes ... bug in the interfaces that noone take care... fixing a bug
for a package in extras could takes several weeks due to the QA
Testing process ...

I cannot say to user to set extras-devel repository ... there is too
much package that can brick n900 device ... HAM ignore apps that are
in other repository if they are already in extras !!! So what ?

I m a hobbist developers, i m doing it for free ... and today it s
take more time to trying to make packages available in extras than
creating new apps and implementing new feature !!! Why ... you should
try to found user to test your apps, answer to wrong vote, wait bugs
to be fixed in the web interface, and more !

So creating my own repository is the best compromise ... Today i ve
already delete my garage account as x-fade is now sure that i ll not
publish anything more on extras repository ... what you want ? if you
are not happy with that do not use my repository ... BUT STOP WHINNING
!

But i got so many complain about creating my repository that now you
win ... you know what ? Today i m writing code to create packaged
python apps for android, and i ll probably stop all my maemo
development ! I know that this n900 will made many damage to the
community ... but i was optimist ... i was thinking more users, better
for the plateforms ... failed

Yes there is discussions, talk, brainstorm ... and other discussions,
emails on the mailing list but ZERO actions taken. This was my first
experience in an true OSS community ... but probably the last.

FELICITATIONS you loose an other dev ! Your so closed mind IS DIVIDING
the community !

2010/3/24, Frank Banul <[hidden email]>:

> One person setting up their own repository is hardly dividing the
> Maemo community, IMHO.
>
> Frank
>
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Michael Cronenworth <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Benoît HERVIER wrote:
>>>
>>> Once the package will be removed from extras, extras-testing, and
>>> extras-devel you will be able to install the new version from my own
>>> repository.
>>
>> Why are you attempting to divide the Maemo community?
>> _______________________________________________
>> maemo-developers mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
>>
> _______________________________________________
> maemo-developers mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
>


--
Benoît HERVIER, Khertan Softwares - http://khertan.net/
_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

Cláudio "Patola" Sampaio
2010/3/24 Benoît HERVIER <[hidden email]>
But i got so many complain about creating my repository that now you
win ... you know what ? Today i m writing code to create packaged
python apps for android, and i ll probably stop all my maemo
development ! I know that this n900 will made many damage to the
community ... but i was optimist ... i was thinking more users, better
for the plateforms ... failed

Hi, Benoît,

I followed your pain with the repositories in the mailing lists and i can only say that I am sorry you gave up Maemo. I hope you could rethink your decisions and continue developing PyGTKEditor, I am a sincere fan of your awesome and easy application, but I won't be insisting on it because I see you are already tired of all this.

Best regards and good luck on your development efforts for whatever platform you choose,
--
Cláudio "Patola" Sampaio
IRC: ptl  - Yahoo: patolaaa
Campinas, SP - Brazil.

_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

ianaré sévi
In reply to this post by Benoît HERVIER
That's the beauty of the n900, you CAN do exactly what you're doing,
and the only consequence is some disappointed devs on a mailing list
(IOW - none).

However, if you want to have your app included in the 'mainline',
expect to suffer a little. But this goes for any large open source
project. Take a look at getting an app into Debian, Ubuntu, or FreeBSD
-- I have, and believe me Maemo is much much easier !

- ianaré sévi



Le 24 mars 2010 13:08, Benoît HERVIER <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Why are you saying that i m trying to divide the Maemo Community ?
>
> So Maemo is as closed as Apple iThings  Store ?
> We can t provide apps without the approbation of the community ?
>
> Uploading things to extras is a pain ... rules changes ... stupid
> votes ... bug in the interfaces that noone take care... fixing a bug
> for a package in extras could takes several weeks due to the QA
> Testing process ...
>
> I cannot say to user to set extras-devel repository ... there is too
> much package that can brick n900 device ... HAM ignore apps that are
> in other repository if they are already in extras !!! So what ?
>
> I m a hobbist developers, i m doing it for free ... and today it s
> take more time to trying to make packages available in extras than
> creating new apps and implementing new feature !!! Why ... you should
> try to found user to test your apps, answer to wrong vote, wait bugs
> to be fixed in the web interface, and more !
>
> So creating my own repository is the best compromise ... Today i ve
> already delete my garage account as x-fade is now sure that i ll not
> publish anything more on extras repository ... what you want ? if you
> are not happy with that do not use my repository ... BUT STOP WHINNING
> !
>
> But i got so many complain about creating my repository that now you
> win ... you know what ? Today i m writing code to create packaged
> python apps for android, and i ll probably stop all my maemo
> development ! I know that this n900 will made many damage to the
> community ... but i was optimist ... i was thinking more users, better
> for the plateforms ... failed
>
> Yes there is discussions, talk, brainstorm ... and other discussions,
> emails on the mailing list but ZERO actions taken. This was my first
> experience in an true OSS community ... but probably the last.
>
> FELICITATIONS you loose an other dev ! Your so closed mind IS DIVIDING
> the community !
>
> 2010/3/24, Frank Banul <[hidden email]>:
>> One person setting up their own repository is hardly dividing the
>> Maemo community, IMHO.
>>
>> Frank
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Michael Cronenworth <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Benoît HERVIER wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Once the package will be removed from extras, extras-testing, and
>>>> extras-devel you will be able to install the new version from my own
>>>> repository.
>>>
>>> Why are you attempting to divide the Maemo community?
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> maemo-developers mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
>>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> maemo-developers mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
>>
>
>
> --
> Benoît HERVIER, Khertan Softwares - http://khertan.net/
> _______________________________________________
> maemo-developers mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
>
_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

Aldon Hynes
I'm in agreement that this is part of the beauty of the N900 and believe that this really strengthens the community.  To the extent that we all have freedom about which developers we want to hang out with and where we want to share our code, we are stronger.

I should note that some of this depends on what you are thinking about as the definition of the community.  To me, the community is of people interested in developing applications for the N900.  This is a different community that I hope significantly overlaps with the community of people that participate on the maemo-developers list, the community of people that submit packages to mameo.org, the community of people working on MeeGo, and other communities.

Personally, I remain strongly committed to the community of people interested in developing applications for the N900, though for various reasons, I feel less strong ties to some of the other communties mentioned.

I do hope that Benoit will have a repository up soon that those interested in can use, just as I think it was great that Jeff  set up his mirror repository.  I also hope people working with other repositories will learn from Jeff and Benoit and continue to make further improvements in their repositories, processes and subcommunities.

My two cents.

Aldon

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]]On Behalf Of ianaré sévi
> Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:21 PM
> To: Benoît HERVIER
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage
>
>
> That's the beauty of the n900, you CAN do exactly what you're doing,
> and the only consequence is some disappointed devs on a mailing list
> (IOW - none).
>
> However, if you want to have your app included in the 'mainline',
> expect to suffer a little. But this goes for any large open source
> project. Take a look at getting an app into Debian, Ubuntu, or FreeBSD
> -- I have, and believe me Maemo is much much easier !
>
> - ianaré sévi

_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

Nils Faerber
In reply to this post by Benoît HERVIER
Sorry, cannot resist - but Benoit IMHO has a point here, see more below...

Benoît HERVIER schrieb:
> Why are you saying that i m trying to divide the Maemo Community ?
> So Maemo is as closed as Apple iThings  Store ?

For sure not and you know this is not true - this is mixing up things.

> We can t provide apps without the approbation of the community ?
>
> Uploading things to extras is a pain ... rules changes ... stupid
> votes ... bug in the interfaces that noone take care... fixing a bug
> for a package in extras could takes several weeks due to the QA
> Testing process ...

This is a two sided sword...
This kind of QA is hurting you badly (let alone bugs in the interface,
lets first stick to the general rules applied here).

But the fundamental question is, how could we together, and this
includes you, the Maemo community as a whole, Nokia QA, etc., how could
we create a QA system that

 - on one hand makes it easier for developers to get their updated
versions into the feeds, while

 - on the other hand make as as sure as (practibly) possible that users
(which one day will mostly not be developers) do not brick their devices
or other awkward problems that could lead them to complain quite
cluelessly and loudly at Nokia or here on the mailinglists?

Either way it hurts.

So we have to find a way to reduce the pain for all of us - the
developers, as Benoit is, and users.

Maybe it could help to do a small survey about such processes for other
distributions and products?
For example it would be interesting to know how the (later) mentioned
Android does assure this? Well, on Android it is hard to create anything
that could brick it in the first place, but apart from this do they have
some QA?
And what about the desktop distros?
Maybe this could put this into perpective a little and, while it keeps
being a pain, lessens it a little.

And as last resort: Benoit, if you really want to have faster updates
for your users, creating your own repo is a valid choice! Maemo is open
enough, on contrast to others, to allow for that, even more, it is
designed for that!
So don't give up, please. Go ahead, do what you feel is most useful for
you and see if your users follow - because in the end those are the most
important parties for your decision - you and your users.

And as a platform if more and more individual repos pop up then the
platform has to rethink its strategy. Then something seems to be really
wrong.

So go ahead and make use of the freedom you have!

And besides in the early days of Maemo it was common practice that
projects had their own repos... Garage can be a nice service but you do
not have to use it.


I think, my final point, the point that heated up some minds here is
that you loudly demanded the deletion of packages. This is a
controversal point and quite uncommon - what is released is released and
stays released. While it can be understood why you wanted it for some
people it might have raised one or the other eye-brow ;)
Why not simply increase the version numbers and put them in your feed to
overide the "older" ones?


> I cannot say to user to set extras-devel repository ... there is too
> much package that can brick n900 device ... HAM ignore apps that are
> in other repository if they are already in extras !!! So what ?
>
> I m a hobbist developers, i m doing it for free ... and today it s
> take more time to trying to make packages available in extras than
> creating new apps and implementing new feature !!! Why ... you should
> try to found user to test your apps, answer to wrong vote, wait bugs
> to be fixed in the web interface, and more !
>
> So creating my own repository is the best compromise ... Today i ve
> already delete my garage account as x-fade is now sure that i ll not
> publish anything more on extras repository ... what you want ? if you
> are not happy with that do not use my repository ... BUT STOP WHINNING
> !

As said above noone is actually strongly complaining (at least not that
I read it). Some might question your choice - but hey, they can, so
what? It is your decision - full stop.

> But i got so many complain about creating my repository that now you
> win ... you know what ? Today i m writing code to create packaged
> python apps for android, and i ll probably stop all my maemo
> development ! I know that this n900 will made many damage to the
> community ... but i was optimist ... i was thinking more users, better
> for the plateforms ... failed
>
> Yes there is discussions, talk, brainstorm ... and other discussions,
> emails on the mailing list but ZERO actions taken. This was my first
> experience in an true OSS community ... but probably the last.

In how far did those not-taken-actions had influence on your
development(s) (except for bugs in the extras interface :( ?

> FELICITATIONS you loose an other dev ! Your so closed mind IS DIVIDING
> the community !

In fact it is making it smaller, not dividing ;)
But I sincerely hope that you do not stay away completely.

I would stringly suggest that you *use* the freedom that open source and
Maemo give you - you can achieve your goal several ways.
You tried extras and it failed for you - fine!
Having your own repo is a valid choice, you have pretty good reasons to
do it, so do it and try it that way.


Cheers
  nils

--
kernel concepts GbR        Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535
http://www.kernelconcepts.de

_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

Nils Faerber
In reply to this post by Aldon Hynes
Aldon Hynes schrieb:
> I'm in agreement that this is part of the beauty of the N900 and believe that this really strengthens the community.  To the extent that we all have freedom about which developers we want to hang out with and where we want to share our code, we are stronger.
>
> I should note that some of this depends on what you are thinking about as the definition of the community.  To me, the community is of people interested in developing applications for the N900.  This is a different community that I hope significantly overlaps with the community of people that participate on the maemo-developers list, the community of people that submit packages to mameo.org, the community of people working on MeeGo, and other communities.
>
> Personally, I remain strongly committed to the community of people interested in developing applications for the N900, though for various reasons, I feel less strong ties to some of the other communties mentioned.
>
> I do hope that Benoit will have a repository up soon that those interested in can use, just as I think it was great that Jeff  set up his mirror repository.  I also hope people working with other repositories will learn from Jeff and Benoit and continue to make further improvements in their repositories, processes and subcommunities.
>
> My two cents.

Excellent summary - I add another two ;)

Though I have to admit not having had anything to do with the extras
stuff so I do not feel the same pain as other seem to do but I still see
the reasoning and the above hits the spot.

The freedom we have with open Source and Maemo is also the freedom not
to do things the way others (whoever that is) meant it to be done. You
can follow - but you do not have to.

> Aldon
Cheers
  nils

>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: [hidden email]
>> [mailto:[hidden email]]On Behalf Of ianaré sévi
>> Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 12:21 PM
>> To: Benoît HERVIER
>> Cc: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage
>>
>>
>> That's the beauty of the n900, you CAN do exactly what you're doing,
>> and the only consequence is some disappointed devs on a mailing list
>> (IOW - none).
>>
>> However, if you want to have your app included in the 'mainline',
>> expect to suffer a little. But this goes for any large open source
>> project. Take a look at getting an app into Debian, Ubuntu, or FreeBSD
>> -- I have, and believe me Maemo is much much easier !
>>
>> - ianaré sévi


--
kernel concepts GbR        Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535
http://www.kernelconcepts.de

_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

Michael Cronenworth
In reply to this post by Benoît HERVIER
Benoît HERVIER on 03/24/2010 12:08 PM wrote:
> Yes there is discussions, talk, brainstorm ... and other discussions,
> emails on the mailing list but ZERO actions taken. This was my first
> experience in an true OSS community ... but probably the last.

This is not a true OSS community. If you want that go to Debian or
Fedora. Before you start these wild rants know what your scope is.

>
> FELICITATIONS you loose an other dev ! Your so closed mind IS DIVIDING
> the community !

If the Maemo folks (Maemo.org masters) do not wish to change the QA
design by only writing an e-mail to them then you should create a bug
about it or form an official petition to see the QA policy changed.
Storming off and creating a new repo is not a *mature* or friendly
solution. The last thing I'd like to see is Maemo split into one repo
per app.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm not arguing about your right to split off. Anyone
continuing discussion about the right to do so is completely OFF-TOPIC.
I'm talking about the politics of the situation. You're completely in
your right to create software the way you want, but when you want to
play ball with a distribution/community you need to have a little better
understanding of the rules instead of becoming an outlaw.
_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

Frank Banul
2010/3/24 Michael Cronenworth <[hidden email]>:
> If the Maemo folks (Maemo.org masters) do not wish to change the QA design
> by only writing an e-mail to them then you should create a bug about it or
> form an official petition to see the QA policy changed. Storming off and
> creating a new repo is not a *mature* or friendly solution. The last thing
> I'd like to see is Maemo split into one repo per app.

One or more bugs were created before the request to have the
applications removed was presented.

Creating a new repository should not be judged by maturity, that's
just a personal attack and not required.

Frank
_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

Fred Pacquier
In reply to this post by Michael Cronenworth
Le 24/03/2010 19:33, Michael Cronenworth a écrit :

> Benoît HERVIER on 03/24/2010 12:08 PM wrote:
>> Yes there is discussions, talk, brainstorm ... and other discussions,
>> emails on the mailing list but ZERO actions taken. This was my first
>> experience in an true OSS community ... but probably the last.
>
> This is not a true OSS community. If you want that go to Debian or
> Fedora. Before you start these wild rants know what your scope is.
>
>> FELICITATIONS you loose an other dev ! Your so closed mind IS DIVIDING
>> the community !
>
> If the Maemo folks (Maemo.org masters) do not wish to change the QA
> design by only writing an e-mail to them then you should create a bug
> about it or form an official petition to see the QA policy changed.
> Storming off and creating a new repo is not a *mature* or friendly
> solution. The last thing I'd like to see is Maemo split into one repo
> per app.
>
> PLEASE NOTE: I'm not arguing about your right to split off. Anyone
> continuing discussion about the right to do so is completely OFF-TOPIC.
> I'm talking about the politics of the situation. You're completely in
> your right to create software the way you want, but when you want to
> play ball with a distribution/community you need to have a little better
> understanding of the rules instead of becoming an outlaw.

Michael,

I have no idea who made you king and what gives you the right to lecture
productive community members from the top of your soapbox, the way
you've been doing here.

But I do know one thing, as a simple user of things other people have
made: a search of your name in Garage yields only one package you are
listed as maintaining, something named "stopish". Maybe you have other,
hidden activities, but this particular one doesn't sound like it would
be of any use to me.

On the other hand, I have been a grateful user of Benoît's PyGtkEditor
ever since the early versions on the 770, and *that* is definitely
something useful to me, that I'd like to see further maintained and
improved.

So if it comes down to choosing between Benoît's way of pursuing his
project with his own repo, because he is fed up with the "one true way",
and your own purist view of how people should "play ball" and be
"mature", I won't have to think about it for even one CPU cycle.

fp
_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

Martin DeMello
In reply to this post by Nils Faerber
2010/3/24 Nils Faerber <[hidden email]>:
>
> I think, my final point, the point that heated up some minds here is
> that you loudly demanded the deletion of packages. This is a
> controversal point and quite uncommon - what is released is released and
> stays released. While it can be understood why you wanted it for some
> people it might have raised one or the other eye-brow ;)
> Why not simply increase the version numbers and put them in your feed to
> overide the "older" ones?

If he does that, wouldn't the people who got his stuff from the extras
repo never even know there was a new version out somewhere else?
They'd just think it was an abandoned app.

martin
_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

VDVsx
Administrator
In reply to this post by Benoît HERVIER
Hi,


2010/3/24 Benoît HERVIER <[hidden email]>
Why are you saying that i m trying to divide the Maemo Community ?

So Maemo is as closed as Apple iThings  Store ?

That's a joke right ?

We can t provide apps without the approbation of the community ?

Yes, you can, as you know.

Uploading things to extras is a pain ... rules changes ... stupid
votes ... bug in the interfaces that noone take care... fixing a bug
for a package in extras could takes several weeks due to the QA
Testing process ...

Afaik, all your packages are following to the QA rules, the votes can be changed, if you feel that someone made a bad judgment you can show them that, what's the problem ?

Please don't tell me again that you spend more time packaging that writing code, that can't be true, the packaging only need to be done once.

I cannot say to user to set extras-devel repository ... there is too
much package that can brick n900 device ... HAM ignore apps that are
in other repository if they are already in extras !!! So what ?

I m a hobbist developers, i m doing it for free ... and today it s
take more time to trying to make packages available in extras than
creating new apps and implementing new feature !!! Why ... you should
try to found user to test your apps, answer to wrong vote, wait bugs
to be fixed in the web interface, and more !

So creating my own repository is the best compromise ... Today i ve
already delete my garage account as x-fade is now sure that i ll not
publish anything more on extras repository ... what you want ? if you
are not happy with that do not use my repository ... BUT STOP WHINNING

I'll not discuss your decision of creation your own repository, and I can understand that, but don't you think that deleting all the maemo records about you(losing karma, future DDP, sponsorship for events) is a very childish attitude ? Here's the harm ?

There's a lot of people supporting you inside the community, is because they like you, I also appreciate very much all your contributions, but I can't understand your attitudes.

!

But i got so many complain about creating my repository that now you
win ... you know what ? Today i m writing code to create packaged
python apps for android, and i ll probably stop all my maemo
development ! I know that this n900 will made many damage to the
community ... but i was optimist ... i was thinking more users, better
for the plateforms ... failed

Again very childish, sounds like: Hey I'll switch to Android and ruin Maemo. :)

We're all adults here(except qwerty :P), let's behave that way. We tried to make a good QA process is not the best one in the world but it keeps improving more and more, the process is totally OPEN for improvements, and we're here to help, also I don't see anyone else with such big complains.(yes the process is slow)

Best luck for you if you leave us.

Best regards,

--
Valério Valério

http://www.valeriovalerio.org
 

Yes there is discussions, talk, brainstorm ... and other discussions,
emails on the mailing list but ZERO actions taken. This was my first
experience in an true OSS community ... but probably the last.

FELICITATIONS you loose an other dev ! Your so closed mind IS DIVIDING
the community !

2010/3/24, Frank Banul <[hidden email]>:
> One person setting up their own repository is hardly dividing the
> Maemo community, IMHO.
>
> Frank
>
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Michael Cronenworth <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Benoît HERVIER wrote:
>>>
>>> Once the package will be removed from extras, extras-testing, and
>>> extras-devel you will be able to install the new version from my own
>>> repository.
>>
>> Why are you attempting to divide the Maemo community?
>> _______________________________________________
>> maemo-developers mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
>>
> _______________________________________________
> maemo-developers mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
>


--
Benoît HERVIER, Khertan Softwares - http://khertan.net/
_______________________________________________





_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

Tomasz Rybak
In reply to this post by Michael Cronenworth
Dnia 2010-03-24, śro o godzinie 10:52 -0500, Michael Cronenworth pisze:
> Benoît HERVIER wrote:
> > Once the package will be removed from extras, extras-testing, and
> > extras-devel you will be able to install the new version from my own
> > repository.
>
> Why are you attempting to divide the Maemo community?

I have bought n900 knowing it is Debian and therefore I can,
if needed, to create my own repository with my packages.
So I do not believe that creating own repository is dividing community
- on the contrary, it allows for others to provide users with packages.
For example recently Opera created repository with Debian/Ubuntu
packages ensuring that users have Opera browser updated the same way
other software is updated.

On the other hand I doubt ordinary users will add some strange
repository - I, for myself, would though about it carefully.
So this might be way for distributing software, but only for
the most hardcore users.

As for promotion to extras - I took part in Saturday's testing
marathon, and some packages worked on my phone while not working
on others, and vice-versa. So I think necessity of having 10 votes
is valid. Maybe _just_ for bugfixes it could be lessened - but there
is risk of abusing this approach.
Debian *-security repositories for security patches. Ordinary packages
must go usual way (10-days waiting period, no RC bugs) - but when
security problem is detected, package with fix goes to *-security
repository. This is not the same situation, but maybe this will give
someone idea for solving problem of getting high quality packages
into extras while not forcing developers to wait too long for
package transition.

My 0.02


--
Tomasz Rybak <[hidden email]> GPG/PGP key ID: 2AD5 9860
Fingerprint A481 824E 7DD3 9C0E C40A  488E C654 FB33 2AD5 9860
http://member.acm.org/~tomaszrybak

_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers

signature.asc (853 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

Nils Faerber
In reply to this post by Martin DeMello
Martin DeMello schrieb:

> 2010/3/24 Nils Faerber <[hidden email]>:
>> I think, my final point, the point that heated up some minds here is
>> that you loudly demanded the deletion of packages. This is a
>> controversal point and quite uncommon - what is released is released and
>> stays released. While it can be understood why you wanted it for some
>> people it might have raised one or the other eye-brow ;)
>> Why not simply increase the version numbers and put them in your feed to
>> overide the "older" ones?
>
> If he does that, wouldn't the people who got his stuff from the extras
> repo never even know there was a new version out somewhere else?
> They'd just think it was an abandoned app.

Well, yes, this is the problem with moving sites, completely right.
So people (users) need to be made aware of the move.
This can be done quite easily - the internet and google do the trick -
publish the fact in a blog and a mailinglist post along with a proper
homepage and people will find it.
Been there, done that - works ;)
Of course you will not catch all of them - that's a pity, truely.

What would probably help here is to create a page on the Maemo Wiki
listing all "known" external feeds and what can be found in there. This
would make changes like this pretty obvious for people looking for it.

> martin
Cheers
  nils

--
kernel concepts GbR      Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48  Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen           Mob: +49-176-21024535
http://www.kernelconcepts.de
_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Deleting Project PyGTKEditor from Garage

Marius Vollmer-3
ext Nils Faerber <[hidden email]> writes:

> What would probably help here is to create a page on the Maemo Wiki
> listing all "known" external feeds and what can be found in there. This
> would make changes like this pretty obvious for people looking for it.

Even if you do that, it is better to remove obsolete versions from the
Extras repository.  There is no point in keeping obsolete stuff and
hoping that people will figure out by themselves to avoid it.

If you want to keep them, someone needs to step up and take over
maintainership of the packages for maemo.org Extras.
_______________________________________________
maemo-developers mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-developers
Loading...